• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I put in a 2000 2.5 motor into a 2000 truck with a 3.0

thomasminton

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
I'm wanting to put my 2000 Ford ranger 2.5 into my 2000 Ford ranger that has a 3.0. is this something that can be done or what will I have to do to make it work?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anything can be done (within reason) with enough work.

You will need 2.5 engine, transmission (transmission is specific to the engine), PATS & GEM PCM modules and the keys that when with the GEMPCM/PATS (or a locksmith to program new keys to got with the modules). Note the truck won't start until you get programmed keys. I would get the door locks too if you are so lucky as to get keys.

Edited - I meant PCM (Power Control Module) not GEM (Generic Electronics Module) - duh. I have had a '00 2.5 with PATS, but that is probably a Cdn thing...

Last edited:

thomasminton

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Anything can be done (within reason) with enough work.

You will need 2.5 engine, transmission (transmission is specific to the engine), PATS & GEM modules and the keys that when with the GEM/PATS (or a locksmith to program new keys to got with the modules). Note the truck won't start until you get programmed keys. I would get the door locks too if you are so lucky as to get keys.
I've got both trucks and motors. The 2.5 truck was wrecked and the 3.0 truck has a cracked block so I just wanted to swap them out. Will I need to swap the engine wiring as well? Also neither truck has a chip in the switch key so I'm not sure how it would be programmed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 1998-2001 2.5l Rangers never got PATS, just the V6s, until the 2.3l DOHC, mid-2001-2011
1999-2011 Rangers with 3.0l or 4.0l engines had PATS, not an option, so 2000 3.0l for sure had PATS, chipped key, if not then its a 1998

GEM won't matter that was just for cab electrics which will be the same

As said you need 2.5l engine and trans, 3.0l trans won't work on a 2.5l engine
And 2.5l motor mounts
2.5l Computer and its engine wiring harness
2.5l radiator
2.5l exhaust

There will be some wire splicing needed as the engine fuse box was a little different

I would get one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/235079327103
Its published by Ford, and came with the 2000 Ranger Shop Manual set in 2000, so Ford Techs could repair glitches in the new models that year

It will have all the wiring for a 2000 Ranger, includes all engine models and options
These are always bought and sold, in demand, so usually FREE to use because you can resell it when you are done with it

Last edited:

thomasminton

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Well I'm glad I've got all the stuff so I think I'm gonna try it and see what happens.
One more question, the 3.0 truck has a crack in the block underneath. What happened was someone didn't put any antifreeze in it and it froze and cracked but the truck has not been fired up or drove since this has happened.( So it hasn't ran hot or anything) would it be possible to just have the crack braised or welded and it be alright? Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe, but engine would need to be pulled and inspected for any other cranks you CAN'T SEE, if there is one crack on one side.............there
are probably others, internal or ??

Its usually not worth the cost to magnaflux a block unless its a rare engine, 3.0l Vulcan ain't that :)

Last edited:

thomasminton

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Ok that's what I needed to know. Thank you for your time and expertise. Have a good night

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ok that's what I needed to know. Thank you for your time and expertise. Have a good night
Do what you want..but you could scrap the 2.5 truck and get enough cash to buy a good 3.0. Be alot less screwing around

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals