• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cannot get timing marks to line up

choltzapple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 B2300 and I'm changing the timing belt. I've changed a couple TB before but I've never had this problem. No matter what I do, it's half a tooth off somewhere. I have the Camshaft and Oil pump pulleys lined up (triangle to triangle, and diamond to diamond) and the crankshaft lined up (key at 12 o'clock and line at the TC mark). I have fought with it for two days and installed the belt countless times and I get the same result every time. I took a picture showing how it sits right now. The belt is installed and the cam and oil pump are lined up perfectly, but the crankshaft has moved half a tooth. This is as close as I can get it, is it good enough? If not, what can I do?

http://imgur.com/Kx7gV4F

Edit: I should note that I counted the teeth on the belt already and double checked the part number. 131 teeth and P/N is right.

Bachelor-house

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Be sure to install the belt on the pulleys in the correct order. Crank first, then oil pump, then the cam keeping the belt tight, the tensioner should be last.

Also, while its still on you could use some tape to mark which ribs and grooves go together so you can adjust it putting it back on.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Once tensioner is tightened, rotate crank TWO times to TDC again and see how it lines up.
Crank rotates two times for each one revolution of the cam gear.

It should be dead-on, if not move belt over 1 space on cam gear, put tension back on and repeat, rotate crank two times to TDC

choltzapple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have been using the order you mentioned. When I have the belt on the crank and get it over to the oil pump pulley, it's tooth against tooth. The oil pump pulley and cam pulley line up just fine if the belt is on just those two, the problem seems to come in when the crank is thrown into the mix. When it's at TDC, the rest of the pulleys are off.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I don't think that three degrees of crankshaft will harm anything.

Also, whenever I redo my timing belt, I go by the marks on the crankshaft timing pulley. I don't think I've ever checked the alignment with the harmonic balancer/serpentine pulley.

Is your crankshaft pulley's keyway slow worn out?

choltzapple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Not that I noticed but I will check it again tonight when I get home.

Have you set your timing like mine is now? I would like to see if this is common.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I never rely on the crankshaft damper for an accurate marker when aligning a timing belt. The outer part of the pulley is glued to the inner with a rubber piece between them, I've seen too many of the dampers separate or rotate.

Charles (in GA)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I never rely on the crankshaft damper for an accurate marker when aligning a timing belt. The outer part of the pulley is glued to the inner with a rubber piece between them, I've seen too many of the dampers separate or rotate.
My '91 has a solid iron damper, no rubber in it at all. Pulley bolts to the damper.

Charles

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes the plastic cover isn't quite on.Did you try to start where you are at?If you feel that it is off too far.pull your crank bolt and make sure it is at noon at the keyway.i too,use the notch in the bottom gear to line it up but somtimes hard to see when motor is in the truck.

choltzapple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I didn't try to start it, would it be safe to do with everything removed? The keyway does not appear to be worn. If I remove the crank pulley, the key is not at the 12 o'clock position when the other two are lined up. Its off just a bit. Judging by that, my plastic cover appears to be right on. Is anybody else running their truck with the timing like this?

Muscleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I would not use the damper and pointer that is for adjusting ignition timing not the cam.

When installing the timing chain on the old OHV motors you did not have the damper on the engine and you used the timing marks on the cam and crank.

choltzapple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Update: I put everything back together as it was (with the crank timing mark off by two marks) and it seems to run fine. Apparently that's close enough. Thanks for the help everybody.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals