• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't get washer on D35 axle shaft

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In the process of swapping hubs on my truck, I noticed that the washer on the axle shaft that goes on before the c clip is missing. I also can't pull the axle shaft out far enough that I can get the clip on with the washer on the axle. Any ideas on why this is happening? Also, is this washer something I can get at a parts store, and what name would it be under?

Manual hubs, D35 if it matters.

EDIT: after seeing an exploded diagram in another thread, it seems I'm missing all of the washers. I just have the lock nuts and the c clip on the axle.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If the shaft won't pull out through the spindle far enough, check that the axle shim and seal is installed correctly around the shaft behind the spindle (also, check that an extra shim didn't end up behind there somehow).

If you can't get the splined thrust washers at a dealer, a junkyard might be your best bet.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
There are also 2 types of spindle seals that you can get, one that is just a rubber lip seal, the other has a plastic collar on it. I know on my truck if you use the one with the plastic collar you can't pull the axle out enough to get the splined washer on and the c clip.

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could this happen from the seal going bad? The PO had somehow grenaded the manual hubs, and decided to just gut the internals instead of fixing them. As far as I know, the spindle seals haven't been changed since then. I imagine that was when the washers got lost too.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are also 2 types of spindle seals that you can get, one that is just a rubber lip seal, the other has a plastic collar on it. I know on my truck if you use the one with the plastic collar you can't pull the axle out enough to get the splined washer on and the c clip.
Didn't know this.

I don't particularly recommend this, but I haven't used washers or clips on mine since about 2005. I haven't busted any hubs (I use 37780s), haven't busted any joints except when my radius arm and axle beam broke. I don't know the reason for that washer in clip, but it seems to be fine without it. Yours will probably break immediately if you leave it out for all I know.

paranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 ford range
Make / Model
4.0l v6 , autom
Transmission
Automatic
i have never ran the washer since i installed the warn manual hubs, has worked for me.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Didn't know this.

I don't particularly recommend this, but I haven't used washers or clips on mine since about 2005. I haven't busted any hubs (I use 37780s), haven't busted any joints except when my radius arm and axle beam broke. I don't know the reason for that washer in clip, but it seems to be fine without it. Yours will probably break immediately if you leave it out for all I know.
I tried without the washer and clip and kept having issues with the passenger side stub shaft pulling out the hub, thus chewing up the splines in the hub and end of the shaft and losing 4 wheel drive as I don't have a locker in the front.

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a similar problem to sasquatch. Every time I engage the hubs, even if the t-case is still in 2hi, I get a grinding noise from the left side when moving. I'm guessing that sound is the axle shaft skipping in and out of the hub splines.

ranger1911

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i just had to replace my passenger side front wheel bearing, it was toast. Couldn't get that damn clip on either, drives fine so far. I'll have a good idea after this fishing trip whether or not it's a neccesary part ;)

I am glad to hear that someone has been fine without the clip though, makes me feel a bit better.

mazdamama

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, i might be off, but if you guys are talking about that splined washer, i think it is pretty important to have, but if your having trouble getting it to go back on, one thing you might want to try is pushing it up against the splines so that it looks as close to lining up as possible and then putting a large pickle fork over the washer and lightly tap it into place while turning the axle shaft to make sure it goes on evenly. this worked for me anyway. you guys should have seen how warped and chewed up that little splined washer was, but i was still able to tap it back on and it holds just fine doing it this way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals