• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't Print

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Using a new laptop, windows 7

printer is like 3 years old
HP Photosmart 2575 All-In-One

so shouldn't be any problems with the hardware.
tried to redownload the driver, doesn't help.

computer recognizes printer (when i plug it in with the USB it makes the noise and stuff), it's set as my default, printer can print test pages and stuff, but only if i print it using the printers menu, not a test page off of my computer.

i go to print, and it accepts it or whatever, doesn't come up with an error message, but then basically right away if i open up my active prints, it just says error printing.

i ran the HP Print Dianogstic Utility, and it says that the printer can't be communicated with. so it tells me to like shut all programs, shut the printer off, then back on, and then restart my computer. i tried that twice, didn't help.

i don't know what's going on.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Doesn't wiggling the cable work any more? lol

I've seen a few HP printers on numerous OS's give the Error on print in the print dialogue box, but...oddly enough, the print job eventually prints...

I'd say the 32-64 bit driver check would be the best place to start...or maybe try it on a router if you have one...they tend to work much better over wired (and wifi) than direct USB for some reason...

ufgators68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Sometimes, pressing ALT+F4 will work instead of trying to print from a menu. Try printing this page using that.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
My system properties says Windows 7 Home Premium

Can't find 32 or 64 bit anywhere

ufgators68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Automatic
good try, i wasn't born yesterday

It works... sometimes. :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Everyone else had already covered what I would have told you.

We have several printers/scanners, here, that won't work with Windows 7. Some of them aren't more than 2 years old but HP hasn't put out a driver for them. Universal drivers wouldn't even work.

You could try uninstalling everything to do with the printer, reboot and then install it all over again.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
It works... sometimes. :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Everyone else had already covered what I would have told you.

We have several printers/scanners, here, that won't work with Windows 7. Some of them aren't more than 2 years old but HP hasn't put out a driver for them. Universal drivers wouldn't even work.

You could try uninstalling everything to do with the printer, reboot and then install it all over again.
what's all involved with the printer and how would i go about finding all of it?

ufgators68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Automatic
what's all involved with the printer and how would i go about finding all of it?
Just go to printers, under the control panel, and delete the printer from there and then go to add/remove programs and uninstall all the HP software listed under there.

Doesn't work every time but it has worked in the past on XP Pro/Windows 2000.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hack, ptuie, the registry...not sure if you can do that in Win7, but I had to do it when I was supporting peripherals for customers quite often...but at one point we found a quick hack that required only removal from one or two places...can't remember where, but did you try searching this page Microsoft FixIT

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
tried the website, didn't work. also tried a patch from microsoft when switching from vista to 7.. didn't work. but now that i have the patch, i'm gonna try the HP Print Diagnostic Utility again... will report tomorrow some time probably.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i can print!

ran the driver uninstallation tool from HP, then redownloaded the forever long driver from the website, basically picked up and started off like i had just bought the printer.

idk what was wrong with it, but i finally am able to print. boy was that annoying, too bad i found out i couldn't print like 15 minutes before class! but at least now i can, thanks for all the help, everyone!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Jiggle the cable.

Vigorously.
Left or right hand? I think there is a slight difference and it might help~

i can print!

ran the driver uninstallation tool from HP, then redownloaded the forever long driver from the website, basically picked up and started off like i had just bought the printer.

idk what was wrong with it, but i finally am able to print. boy was that annoying, too bad i found out i couldn't print like 15 minutes before class! but at least now i can, thanks for all the help, everyone!
Well, that's good news...but I think the uninstall tool actually hacks the registry for you...:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals