• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chain or tow rope?

Shawn_248

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Being a 2wd, I like to keep some recovery device in the bed just in case, and I was wondering if the cheaper lighter tow ropes are as reliable as my old logging chain? There's some at the flea market up the road, and look like they couldn't do anything. Anyone got any opinions?

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol get ready to get flagged. use a tow strap

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
carry a pair of 20' straps with a rated "D" ring.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Use a tow strap. What happens when your chain finally decides to break? You get a broken windshield as a trophy for being stuck.

Shawn_248

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The ones at the walmart here are only rated for like 1500 pounds. Are the elastic types any good they sell on JC whitney? I like my chain, but 30 feet of logging chain is too much of a PITA to mess with

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
lol get ready to get flagged. use a tow strap
There is absolutely nothing wrong with chains providing two things are observed when using them:

1) Use a properly rated/graded chain.
2) Know how to properly use a chain (ease the slack up and then just continue to pull, no balls-to-the-wall pedal smash)

Most 4x4 people recommend using tow straps because they are a little more forgiving. Especially the Tug-um straps that actually stretch when you pull them tight then recoil to pull the stuck vehicle out. But make no mistake about it, straps can be deadly too when used improperly.

So the short answer is to have good attachment points and to use whatever you choose properly.

I have two gear boxes with my recovery gear in 'em. One tree-saver winch strap, two 10' tow straps and one 30' recovery strap. Then I have a 12' length of high-grade chain with a selection of hooks and one short length (less than 2') of rather thick high-grade chain with a couple hooks. There have been times where I could not find a suitable attachment point for a strap without risking damage to the strap or the vehicle and I substituted the short piece of chain on the end to make the connection, and used a tow strap rather than a recovery strap and eased into it like I would pulling with a chain.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The ones at the walmart here are only rated for like 1500 pounds. Are the elastic types any good they sell on JC whitney? I like my chain, but 30 feet of logging chain is too much of a PITA to mess with
My 10' tow straps are ones I got from a traveling tool sale, they're rated something like 10k for a 4" strap.

My 30' recovery strap is a Keeper brand that I got from Summit Racing. It's a decent strap. The Pro-Comp straps are a lil more pricey but good too. My dad has a 30' Keeper recovery strap from Summit as well and an older 20' recovery also from Summit.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
There is absolutely nothing wrong with chains providing two things are observed when using them:

1) Use a properly rated/graded chain.
2) Know how to properly use a chain (ease the slack up and then just continue to pull, no balls-to-the-wall pedal smash)

Most 4x4 people recommend using tow straps because they are a little more forgiving. Especially the Tug-um straps that actually stretch when you pull them tight then recoil to pull the stuck vehicle out. But make no mistake about it, straps can be deadly too when used improperly.

So the short answer is to have good attachment points and to use whatever you choose properly.

I have two gear boxes with my recovery gear in 'em. One tree-saver winch strap, two 10' tow straps and one 30' recovery strap. Then I have a 12' length of high-grade chain with a selection of hooks and one short length (less than 2') of rather thick high-grade chain with a couple hooks. There have been times where I could not find a suitable attachment point for a strap without risking damage to the strap or the vehicle and I substituted the short piece of chain on the end to make the connection, and used a tow strap rather than a recovery strap and eased into it like I would pulling with a chain.
agreed, I have seen first hand what improper chain use will cause. I carry a chain, three screw pin shackles a tow strap(with looped ends) and a tree strap, as well as a winch. I learned the hard way about the proper way to tow, no one was hurt but it cost me a sunroof, a windshield and my friend got a nasty dent in his roof.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went to a Army Navy store and got 30 ft of load cargo webbing really cheap like 10 bucks it's 4 inches wide and rated up to like 20,000. lbs. Never had a problem with it.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
TSC is the place to buy recovery gear.

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
He posted about keeping someting in his truck.

If you are trying to get unstuck all by your lonesome.
Then use my method.
Drive slowly into bad situations, so you only need to move a truck length backwards to get out.

Then use a come-a-long (puller) rated at 2000lbs and chain rated at 4500lbs.
The problem with tow ropes in this situation is stretch.
The come-a-long can run out of cable taking all the stretch out of the tow rope, and the truck hasn't moved yet.

In this case chain works better, provided everything is anchored real good.

Now, if another truck is pulling you out, DO NOT use chain because it's easy for the other driver to make a mistake, jerking the chain and busting something.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I sense my opinion isn't popular here but I prefer chains there more adjustable in length easier to roll up and put away plus you don't have to worry about cutting them.The thing is you have to pull and not jerk or tug unlike a strap the chain does not store energy to release when it breaks if your just pulling.Ive been around chains and equipment for years it dos'nt go flying if you just pull.That said the deadly combination is a strap and a chain because the chain gives weight and the strap stores energy and makes it fly.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I sense my opinion isn't popular here but I prefer chains there more adjustable in length easier to roll up and put away plus you don't have to worry about cutting them.The thing is you have to pull and not jerk or tug unlike a strap the chain does not store energy to release when it breaks if your just pulling.Ive been around chains and equipment for years it dos'nt go flying if you just pull.That said the deadly combination is a strap and a chain because the chain gives weight and the strap stores energy and makes it fly.
IMHO, nothing wrong with that. If I use my short piece of chain as a sort of adapter to pull a vehicle, I use a tow strap rather than a recovery strap, recovery straps store energy, tow straps are made to not stretch much at all, so it's fine for a gentle pull (like using a 4x4 to pull a car off a snow bank). I wouldn't think of using that with my recovery strap.

And yes, even just using a clevis to hook a recovery strap up is dangerous. That video clearly illustrates what can happen with an idiot behind the wheel. I remember hearing a couple years ago about a guy who tried doing that sort of thing with a Jeep (IIRC it was a Cherokee). Clevis failed at the pin and came through the back window of the Jeep, through the seat back, through the driver's head, through the windshield, stretched tight and snapped back under the Jeep hard enough to wedge itself on. The strap had to be cut to get the body out.....

Be safe ya'll!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals