• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap Extended Brake Lines Solution for 1993 2WD 4" Lift

ludicrouspeed69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
Jim Oaks's excellent article helped me out a lot when I finished installing my 4" Rough Country lift and found that the stock brake lines were stretched too tight to even drive around while I waited for skyjacker lines to come in the mail.
These lines are what I picked up from Autozone:
Duralast70053Duralast70054
However, they don't simply install exactly like the stock ones. 5 items follow:
1. On both sides, you need to grind a tiny bit off the body which the banjo bolt goes through, as the flat mating surface of the 1993 Ranger Backing plate is larger than the Chevy K2500 ones these lines are for. Here is a drawing of what I mean:
banjoboltbodymod.png

I used a cutoff wheel to carefully take off only the absolute minimum material necessary, since you really don't want to mess with wall thickness of any parts in a hydraulic system.
2. The thickness of this banjo bolt body on the passenger side is slightly thinner on the Brakeware line than the stock line. This means you need to use 2 THICKER copper washers on either side of it to ensure the banjo bolt ends up clocked with the hole aligning to the brake line hole when fully tightened. For me, this meant stealing the copper washers from the driver's side line (for some reason a few thousandths thicker). Use a paint pen to mark the head of the banjo bolt on the corner under which the hole lives!! Then do test-fits until your washer situation results in correct clocking when fully installed and tightened (AKA the paint pen mark lines up with the metal line's angle).
3. The Brakeware lines' holes in the banjo bolt bodies are not halfway down the thickness of the body, as the holes in the stock ones are. This means, if you use the stock banjo bolts, the fluid passage is going to be restricted. My solution was to use a tiny dremel bit to adjust the stock banjo bolt side holes into ovals, whose top edges lined up with the new lines' banjo bolt body holes.
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 5.18.18 PM.png

Use calipers to measure very carefully! The more graceful solution is to buy 1995 Chevy K2500 banjo bolts, which will obviously line up without modification. DISCLAIMER: I could not find the thread pattern for those Chevy banjo bolts - if they're not 3/8"-24TPI, you will in fact have to use the stock Ford ones.
4. The big headache: The brakeware lines both have female fittings on the other end. For the passenger side, this is no problem. It just accepts the hardline flare nut no problem.
The driver's side, however, has a tee fitting here (I think one from the ABS module and one straight from the master cylinder). That tee fitting has two 3/8"-24TPI female ports, and one 1/4" OD hardline "port" which the stock flexible hose is mated to (see the image below).
The issue is that the new flexible line must attach to this tee at the spot where it has a hardline coming out.
  • Graceful solution: order this part from Speedway (literally the only source for this spec I could find:( no parts-store solution afaik). Thread the new line onto the male side. Pop it on the truck and thread in the hardlines behind the shock tower. Done!
    Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 17-20-24 Brass Brake Tee Fitting 3_8-24 IFF_IFM.png
  • Quick and dirty solution (s*** I need to finish this today): pick up a 3/8"-24TPI bolt at least 3/4" long. Using a vise to hold it by the head, progressively sized bits, and lots of cutting oil, drill out the middle to 5/32". Go slow and stay straight.
    Cut off the head with a cutoff wheel, run a die over the cut end.
    Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 5.25.24 PM.png

Take the stock brake line and cut off the hardline extension from the Tee block, flush with the bottom of the block. Drill out the hole where it was attached, to 21/64" or a Q bit. Then tap the hole with a 3/8"-24TPI tap.
    Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 5.38.13 PM.png

Take your new Brakeware line, your doctored bolt, and your doctored Tee block, and tighten them together. The material of the tee block here is quite soft (may be copper not brass; I couldn't tell, but I was accordingly gentle to ensure my new threads didn't strip).
    Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 5.29.54 PM.png
    brakes.jpg

Please ignore the gunk in my wheel well. I recently fixed a power steering leak that had turned all the mud on the drivers' side into indestructable clay lol.
5. Before you install the new lines, you'll have to get the mounting brackets off, as there's nowhere good to utilize them on the fender liner or shock tower on the Ranger. I clamped the brackets in a vise and very carefully cut through about 2/3rds the thickness of the material with a cutoff wheel opposite the end of the bend around the hose. Then used a flathead and pliers to gently bend it open. Instead of brackets, I zip tied the new lines to the springs and then jacked the corners through the suspension's full(ish) travel to make sure they didn't touch anything.
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 5.45.43 PM.png

Final remarks:
I hate the stock "clips" that hold the fittings in place at the shock tower pass-through hole. They are very hard to reuse as you must bend them to remove. I just grabbed some big 5/8 ID fender washers and used those instead when reassembling.

All this cost me about 70 bucks and I could grab everything from parts/hardware stores in town. Pretty good when a set of skyjacker lines will run you $160!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals