• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap vent hose plug idea

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
In preparation for eventually getting to actually do some off roading, I found what I think will be a very effective vent/plug for axles etc. I had a couple of one way valves used in aquariums left over from an unfinished project. With some light lube they push snugly into my axle vent hoses and are water tight, yet will allow for excess pressure to vent. They're spring loaded and designed for underwater use.

Does anyone see any down side?

I'll post a pic later...

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
id be concerned as to what PSI they are rated for. Then find out how much pressure is really in the differential case at a given time. I don't think there is enough initial pressure to open a valve at all.

I would just get some length of 5/16 hose and run it up above the highest point you ever intend to get water up to. Then run the hose horizontal for a foot or so then run it down another 6 inches and clamp/strap it to a none moving body part.

My rear vent hose runs up to the bed bottom all the way through the bed rail out the passenger side and then straight down the frame rail toward the ground about 6 inches. The high point of the hose is zip tied to the very top of the bed rail inside. Water has to travel straight up then horizontal uphill across the bottom of the bed before it can even get to the low point in the hose. I submerge the hose all the time and because there is air in the hose water never can get past the high point in the hose. My front differential and transfercase are also run like so. The Auto transmission vent is already run on an uphill over the transmission from the factory.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah, I didn't think about that...good thing I asked. I'll do what you said. Honestly, for anything I'm likely to get into it probably would have been ok anyway. I was piddlin and went off script :)

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Just get them high enough that it doesn't need anything on the ends.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
id be concerned as to what PSI they are rated for. Then find out how much pressure is really in the differential case at a given time.
Having thought about it a bit, I figure there must be some significant amount of pressure build up that occurs during operation, since a vent is needed in the first place. I mean, the axle is vented to keep pressure from blowing the axle/pinion seals out, right? No idea how much it would take to do that, but they seem to need to breath.

That still knocks my one way valve idea out though, being one way valves. No way to inhale. Longer, properly routed hoses seems to be the best way to go.0

DieselTech07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1997 1994
Make / Model
Ford Ford FORD
Engine Size
2.3 3.0 3.0
Transmission
Manual
On my truck I replaced all breather hoses and ran them together with plastic vacuum line TEEs, then ran one single line to above brake booster, then stuck a metal fuel strainer made to fit a carburetor from the 1960s in the end to let it breath freely, but keep the mud wasps out of the end, if one does get in the strainer just remove and blow it out with air compressor.

been working good for several years even in water over the front bumper, never got water in any of the gear lube yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals