• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check Engine Light On

ranger_96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Everyone,

I am new the the forum and to the Ford Rangers at all and I need your help.

I bought my Ranger like a two weeks ago, and just started to run into problems with it, which is understandable , it's 1996 4 cyl. auto transmission with 85K miles.

Now to the point, last week it didn't want to start without pressing on the gas, which I should not have to do(it's FI). Anyways, after pressing on the gas it will start, but when cold it will just die if released(I was driving with the left foot on the break and the other on the gas). When warm the engine was going very low with the RPMs (like at stop lights). Engine light at that time was not on. I thought it might not work and went to Advance Auto Parts to have them check and see if we can retrieve any codes....and nothing. On my way home from there, the light came on, and I just decided to go to Ford Service for diagnostics.

What they found was Error Code P1359, which is Spark Output circuit fault. They have "Reprogrammed the PCM with latest calibration"...whatever that means.(I hope they didn't just disconnect the battery for an hour to clean the codes).

Now, the truck runs good, but I am afraid that they didn't eliminate the cause of that, and that it will happen again. The guy there suggested that I have the throttle body flushed...whatever that means, and it will cost me like $200....which I prefer to spend on some sensors if some of them are dead.

Please advise. What should I do ?

Thanks.

ranger_96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Come on guys,

if someone knows what could cause Error Code P1359 please let me know what I should do to fix it. My truck starts behaving weird again. After I start the engine, there is a 'disk' that pops out of the alternator and the RPMs go low and the engine shakes in a weird manner, and in 10-15 seconds it goes back in and the RPMs normalize....and it repeats itself on and on even when the engine has warmed up. Could that be caused by the reprogramming of the PCM that was done ? Please help !

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i dont know about the error code, but ive had that problem in the past with mustangs and fixed by removing the IAC (idle air control) valve, cleaning it with brake parts cleaner and reinstalling. that might be what they were getting at with the "throttle body flush".

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there is a 'disk' that pops out of the alternator
it sounds like your refering to the air conditioning compressor clutch. the compressor is cycling like it should be.

you say the engine isles low/weird when the clutch is disengauged? it should be the other way around...

ranger_96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wicked_Sludge
you say the engine isles low/weird when the clutch is disengauged? it should be the other way around...
it could be the other way around, I have no idea when it's engaged and when it's not. But I am happy that you say it's normal.

mikepotts
...and fixed by removing the IAC (idle air control) valve, cleaning it with brake parts cleaner and reinstalling. that might be what they were getting at with the "throttle body flush".
Mikepotts,
I just check the paper with recommendations they gave me, and it says: TBIF - Throttle Body Injection Flush. the tech was showing me pictures of the whole throttle body....and the price would be 199.95 w/o tax....I hope they won't just clean the IAC....anyways, before I go there, I'll try cleaning the IAC myself....and I'll let know if it does any good.

BTW guys, do you know where I can get a suitable service manual. Is there any online documentation or something like that....because if you haven't noticed, I am gonna need some pictures and step by step directions for dummies :)

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
be careful with the throttle body service, my 96 2.3 has a label on the Tb that says not to clean it with chemicals or a brush(there is a special finish in there that could be damaged.)

ranger_96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
10x Ghost,

that is good to know. I was looking for some tips on the internet on how to do that, and that's what I found:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/DIY/Cleaning_Engine_Throttle_Bodies.aspx?pg=1

I am definitely going to give it a shot, it's worth it.

Throttle Body and intake cleaner - $3.79 .... they were asking for $200 to do the same job...
just make sure that yours doesn't have that finish on it. there is a tag on the TB, should be on the top. if it does, do not clean it with chemicals of any kind. just wipe it out with a dry soft rag.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
we've cleaned throttle bodies and plenums with that "special coating" on them before with no negitive side effects. i think the special coating is BS. id rather have a clean uncoated TB than a dirty, coated one.

theres lots of info on how to clean your IAC on the forums, just do a search, its been covered alot.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
And make sure your throttle body cleaner is o2 sensor friendly, which most are.

ranger_96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Let me tell you what I've done :)

I bought Throttle Body/Air Intake Cleaner from Advance Auto Parts - $3.79.

I removed the intake pipes right off of the throttle body....it looked darker than my ass from inside...that was dirty...

Anyways, I put a piece of cloth under the throttle body opening, so it kept the cleaner from going all over the engine. Started spraying....that cleaner did an amazing job, it was taking the dirt right off, I didn't even had to brush anything. The only problem I had was, how to keep the throttle valve opened and spray in the same time....Hey, another warning is...don't inhale the cleaner...that's a mistake.

Anyways, after that I changed the four spark plugs and wires on the passenger side, left the other 4 for next weekend...

After I was done with everything, I tried to start the engine....that was hard...mainly because of the cleaner used. I had to crank it up several times, and at the end I just pressed on the gas the whole way down....and then it happened....my truck started....plus, a white cloud was coming from the back of it...:)

Did it make any difference ?

Oh yeah!!! I couldn't believe that was the same truck, I don't know if it was the spark plugs (I used Autolite Double Plats) or the throttle body cleaning which I think was the main reason. but now the engine reacts very good on the accelerator...there is no wait time so to speak, it feels that it breaths much better now....BTW I also used sensor cleaner and cleaned the MAF sensor. It also starts easier now. Later today I am going to do a test drive and let you know how it does....couldn't do it yesterday after all the beer I had during the 'repair' :)

At the end, I strongly recommend to check your throttle body, if you don't see clean metal....than clean it. Use proper chemicals...DO NOT INHALE THEM...AND DO NOT SMOKE AROUND THEM. And there is one more thing, when you park the vehicle, make sure to put the drivers side on a curb or so, so the cleaner with all the dirt will flow towards the outside and not back to the engine.

10x everybody for your help :) !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals