• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Choosing a cam for 5.0L HO

D.T.Starr

July 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What are you opinions on the best camshaft for my 5.0L? I am now forced to tear into the top end of the engine so I may swap the cam as well.

The engine is a stock 1992 mustang HO with Edelbrock upper and lower EFI intake, custom long tube headers 1.5” primaries to 2.5” exhaust (no crossover pipe). The truck has hydroboost brakes and is a trail truck designed for everything from slow crawling to hammer down mud bogging.
I will be running 75-100hp shot of (dry) nitrous eventually. When the heads are off I will get them ported. I want good power right of idle, and (I think) I would like a little more than the standard Ford racing B303 and was looking for peoples experience with what is out there.

The original plan was to run the engine as is for a year or two then do a full rebuild with a stroker kit when I had the money, but the coolant in the oil and white smoke and sparks shooting out of the exhaust changed the priorities.

This is the truck
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4693

Last edited:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Keep the stock cam. It is good for more horsepower than you have.

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it helps you at all, in my 88 ranger I droppeda 5.0 in it.
I decided I wanted a stage 2 cam(baddad can give you the ford number, it was a trickflow stage ii). The baby flew at high rpms. But I realized too little too late, you dont want that in a truck...you want a low RPM cam to feel like you have some nuts between your legs. Stick with the stock cam or a stage 1. A bigger cam is anemic in a truck used as a truck.
Good luck friend.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Can't beat the stock F4TE roller for idle-up grunt. 256/266* Advertised duration, .445/.473 lift with 1.7 rockers. 116*LSA

D.T.Starr

July 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies
badad, just to clear the F4TE cam come stock in 1992 mustang motors?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No, that would be the H.O cam. The F4TE was used in all the 94-97 E & F series vans and trucks with a 5.0 and the 96-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0. Plus the roller 351W. The H.O cam specs are kinda fuzzy on duration, the advertised duration was either 266* or 276* depending on what source you get it from. Ford's 5.0 book listed it as 276/266 (int/exh) Lift was .445/.445 with 1.6 rockers, .473/.473 with 1.7's. 115.5* LSA.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals