• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cliffs Run?

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
damn that sucks brad anyone hurt in the fire what cause the fire

dabomb5756

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow Brad, that really hits hard. Keep working hard and things will start coming around. Any details on the fire?

Anyways, i ended up going only Sunday, i slept in really late saturday morning and i was feeling lazy lol.
My dad came with me and got some great pictures and videos. We met up with another samurai. A little muddy, but still got some good time on the rocks!

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561492845mpeFRW

About 5 minutes in, on the first rock ledge i went on, i blew the ujoint at the axle. I was rompin on it pretty hard, and started bouncing and POP it went. I knew it was a little loose, but i never got around to changing it. So after i got that swapped with my spare shaft everything went flawless. I definitly used the skidplate and rocksliders more than a couple times today!

Heres a good video with a little wheelie:
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3013435040091349939FuNWSQ

I couldnt make it up that. In August it was a breeze, but it has been dug out to a 3ft wall and my tires just couldnt get over it.

Heres another good pic i like:

Anyways, all the pics are on that first link.

bradz71

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Transmission
Automatic
damn that sucks brad anyone hurt in the fire what cause the fire
Nobody was hurt, my aunt was running it and she got out O.K.

We think cornstalks got into the external brakes on it. The early model Challangers had external brakes, and of course they use the brakes to turn and they just got hot enough to start a fire. It was so hot it warped the drawbar on the chisel plow. I have more pics here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v679/bradz71/Fire/

Dabomb, looks like you had fun! At least one of us is still wheelin'!

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Brad, that's pretty rough. Keep your head up man and things will start going your way.

Neal, looks like fun. I've been saving so I can build a doubler. I've got just enough money now but I don't wanna deplete my savings right before Christmas. I'm planning on installing it over spring break then making a Badlands trip over memorial day weekend. I'll make a thread in a few months to see if we can spark any interest, maybe RandyM and Jim will make their way over again.

dabomb5756

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool.

After looking at some of the videos, i think i broke my rear driveshaft from spring wrap (along with the somewhat loose ujoint). Those videos show my rear missing link opening and closing while hopping up the hill, obviously because of the wrap. I bent the spring clamps up so that the spring could flex more, and i can tel they did flex more, but now there is wrap.

I might just bend em back down, or i could build a track bar.

I plan on building my tube front clip, stretching the front a couple more inches and maybe lowering the whole thing an inch or two. I am also going to redo my rear spring hanger so they dont hang down 5 inches below the frame. I kept banging them in the videos and they're all bent up.
Hopefully i can get that stuff done over christmas. I also want to get a stronger steering pump and maybe tap my box for hydro assist. Even though i only have 31's, i would be able to turn effortlessly, and take some of the stress of shackles, springs, and mounts.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't see what you're talking about in the vids but axle wrap very well could've contributed to the failing u-joint.

I'm sure you've thought it through but I'll chime in with my .02 to give you something to ponder. the short wheelbase is definitely an issue, as seen in the video(s). I agree that lengthing the WB would help immensly when climbing steeper ledges. I would stretch the rear though. Stretching the front WILL help your situation but stretching the rear would be much more usefull. plus you don't have to worry about steering and trac bar angles getting all screwed up. after stretching the rear, you'll have to cut your rear quarter panels anyways so while your at it, clearance for 33's. that will give you slightly better approach/departure angles (keep the shackles from hanging up on everything) plus the extra tire size will help you get up bigger obstacles (ledge in your vid). the bigger tires would then be complimented by the hydro assist as you've already addressed. I'm not sure if I follow your last sentence though.

whatever you do I'm sure it will be an improvement over the current setup and will prove to be time/money well spent.

dabomb5756

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was always planning on stretching the rear, but now i have changed my mind for good.
I have never had a problem with the departure angle at all, or the approach for that matter. The gas tank is right behind the rear axle, and would require me to move it into the bed, which is already tight on space as is. The compcut on samurais is a pain in the ass with alot of body work, i would cut the entire rear, link it, tube it with airshocks and fuel cell before i tried stretching the rear with springs.

The front, all i have to do is move the steering box, 3 holes, and extend the steering shaft. I am going to weld shackle hangers off the front of the frame, and drill holes forward and up, (as close to the frame as possible) in the spring hangers to get about 3 more inches than i have now out of the front. I have wanted to build a tube front clip anyways, and this will make me have to do it so the tire doesnt stuff into the front of the fender.
Stretching the front will also give me a better weight balance with the engine more in the center of the vehicle.

After doing all this i will have a flat belly and the spring mounts will be up and out of the way. I will then lower the entire truck about 2 inches like i said to make it even less tipsy.
If i come across some bigger tires than i will run those until the axles break, then i have my yotas that will bolt up directly with some driveshaft adapters and hy steer arms. The truth is though, i like being low to the ground. I have my 1/4inch angle sliders, and a 3/16inch skidplate, and it slides over all the rocks. I really should shave my diffs to get rid of the drain plug since its probably rubbed down to a nub already.

Last edited:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep, like I said you've probably thought it through. sounds like you have. should be a fun build for ya, I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals