• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil/ignition issue 85 ranger 2.3

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So I am working on an 85 ranger I have had parked for 10 years and cant seem to get it to fire.It is a fairly rare longbed 2.3 4x4.It only has 99k orig miles and was a super good runner when I parked it.I just never ended up needing it so it has sat for all this time.I put a new coil on it thinking that might be the cause of no spark and it has voltage going into it when you turn the key on but when you turn it over the coil does not fire and it has me stumped.Any other time when I worked on something if you had electric going into the coil and the coil was good then you had spark.All the connections are good and clean and no wires have ever been cut or messed with on this ranger.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the rotor in the distributor turn when you crank the engine?
never assume anything, lol.
If it has been sitting that long then timing belt could have broke at first crank, so no distributor rotation after that.

On the side of the distributor is the TFI module, this module gets the spark pulse from the sensor inside the distributor as shaft/rotor turns.
The module then Grounds the coil to spark it matching those pulses.
Coils always have 12volts with key on, they spark by Grounding and un-Gounding the "-" terminal, that's what Points did in the older distributors and thats what TFI module does in your system.

TFI module check list here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Print the worksheet and follow it

Last edited:

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The cam belt is fine and all else is moving as it should but your point on the TFI and pickup is what I had in mind of replacing next since its apart of the ignition system.I dread replacing the pickup since you have to press the gear off.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If you are going to replace the pickup, I'd recommend getting a replacement or used distributor. I have done one, and it is still working, but for the time and effort, I'd get a re-man. There is a roll pin that stakes the driven gear which must be removed, then the pickup can be slid out. The gear needs to line up exactly to put a roll pin back in. It won't.
I know now that I should have just drilled a new hole, but tried to align the old. My roll pin did not end up in very good condition. It has been over 20 years, so I can't complain, but the gear tooth missing a slight chunk had me worried. Just the gear is or has been around $18, which I thought high.
If you are going to replace the TFI, be careful mushing it up into the connectors on the bottom of the distributor bowl. The plastic(?) holding the connectors in place degrades over time and turns to mush, allowing the connectors to move out of the way of the spades on the TFI. If you use a digit, you may be able to hold the connectors from the 'top' of the mushy plastic and get good engagement. If they engage, you are fine.
The E-coil should spark at each cycle of the ignition key if the TFI is not cooked. The ignition key provides 12v, and the TFI cycles a ground. When the ground is present, the coil is energized, creates a magnetic field, and then the ground is removed, and the field collapses, cutting the conductors in the other winding of the coil, which generates spark. The spark is made when the ground is removed. The ignition key does the same thing when the power is removed. The only question is the ground in the TFI being 'there' or not when the key is cycled. I do not remember, but think the ground is supposed to be there full time except when the TFI removes it. My memory is not what it was.
The 2.3 4X4 is a rare and desirable combination, from what I hear. Don't send it off to the crusher.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals