• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Colorado/Canyon being dropped by GM

Tommy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What?? Where do you read that it's being dropped?

jhammel85

Yeah, post where you saw that. I havent heard that yet.

If so, thats a shame man...another small truck model down the drain. You would think that now, more than ever, small trucks would be more popular :sad:

loneranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
wow thats pretty crappy. out of the chevy line up i liked the small trucks better than the seirra. its a shame they are phaseing them out slowly.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Chevy's biggest mistake was replacing the S10. I've driven a few S10's (my local mechanic has one for a shop truck/customer loaner), they're nice trucks. For the record, I haven't driven a Colorado.

This also makes me ponder this: Why hasn't Dodge dropped the Dakota when you can get all the stuff you want in a Ram?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I guess the real problem is the dealers..... They are pushing the full size trucks more then ever! Notice how all the truck commercials are for full size trucks and SUV's not the smaller pickups like the Ranger and Colorado. Not to mention was reading around somewhere that small pickup sales were down the ranger for example went from 300,000 in the year 2000 where its only somewhere around 30 -60,000 last year. The last commercial I remember for the ranger was back in about 2000 actually with mudding and stuff... and I haven't seen advertising for the colorado and new dakotas except for a few months after they came out and changed the designs...

Another thing as stated before, why buy a small pickup if it gets only a little better mileage and not nearly the amount of power and room the new trucks have? You can get a new F150 with a v8 that gets 21mpg and has 300+ hp or a ranger that has a v6 that gets 21-22mpg with 200+ hp all for about the same price. I personally would get the ranger just because I don't like having a massive beast that I drive everyday and never haul anything except small loads that the ranger can handle on occasion, don't get me wrong I love romping around in the big diesel from time to time but it gets annoying if you do it everyday and have to try and park it in cramped parking lots...

People I think will buy rangers again if infact they start advertising them again especially if they go through and bring in the newer Universal ranger in with 4 doors and the urbo diesel.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've never been a huge fan of the S10/colorado/canyon trucks. They are way to much like the later model rangers in the amount it costs to lift, and it gets a little ridiculous. My only beef with buying a new truck, is that it's so shiny and new and virgin that I wouldn't ever think about putting it in the mud, let alone scratching it up in the woods. I will never be able to make myself buy a new truck. These old trucks serve there purpose enough for me, cheap, affordable, it's paid off, and I can burry it up to the windshield in mud, drag it out, hose it off, and drive home.

loneranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
well i think as long as there are guys like all of us in the world that the small truck has a glimmor of hope. and i agree with thebeast. i couldnt see buying a new truck at this point when the ranger is damn near perfect and broke in like a good pair of work boots. and the people who do the marketing only run off of numbers and statistics. the dont give 2 shits what people THINK. as long as the numbers are putting money in there pockets.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
That is kind of sad for GM to be dropping their compact trucks off the lot. Preferable, I liked the S-10 better over the Colorado. Especially a 4x4 crew cab S-10. Thou I will never trade my Ranger in for one. Only if Ford got the idea that maybe it really should refreshen the Ranger style.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why would small trucks be popular? Anyone driving a 4.0 Ranger can tell you the mileage isn't a draw. A full-size can do just as well if not better. My stepdads F-150 gets an average of 18.5 mpg. My ranger, doesn't.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I think these articles are speculation. I saw an article on either yahoo or google that was worded almost the same. Prob getting from the same one source.

It lists cars like the Toyota Matrix and FJ Cruiser, Hyundai Veracruz. Those all state discontinuation date: unconfirmed. I would not read too much into it until the manufacturer actually announces it. Actually, if I were the GM Toyota and Hyundai, I'd be kinda mad at the article.

http://www.usnews.com/money/blogs/flowchart/2009/12/14/the-10-best-discontinued-cars.html

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think these articles are speculation. I saw an article on either yahoo or google that was worded almost the same. Prob getting from the same one source.

It lists cars like the Toyota Matrix and FJ Cruiser, Hyundai Veracruz. Those all state discontinuation date: unconfirmed. I would not read too much into it until the manufacturer actually announces it. Actually, if I were the GM Toyota and Hyundai, I'd be kinda mad at the article.

http://www.usnews.com/money/blogs/flowchart/2009/12/14/the-10-best-discontinued-cars.html

Vito
Especially with the Matrix being a good seller. Even if GM buys most of them.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My work truck is a Colorado. Its ok, I prefer my Ranger and B2 over it. I've got the 3.5L I-5. Highway I get 22mpg. Everyday, I leave it idling all day, I get about 16 mpg. The sheet metal is thin, u can't even lean on it and it dents. It like gettin in a car. My stock Ranger sits higher than the Colorado. Not a big fan, but I don't have to pay for gs or repairs so its fine with me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals