• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

conceal carry gun rant

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
There is always a bigger gun...
This is true;however, when you go to the range and specifically work on hitting center mass every time, any weapon will work. Some people prefer .45 ACP, I prefer .40 cal. It is about total loaded weight and how it feels in your hand for me. My S&W Sigma 9mm and my Taurus weight about the same fully loaded. Opinions are like ass holes when it comes to guns, everyone has one. :icon_thumby:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I use to carry a .25 cal in my back pocket with my badge wallet behind it to give it a flat look. I even carried it in an ankle holster. For me, it was a close range weapon. As in, I would pull it out and shoot you point blank with it. It would never be a primary. Just a close range backup.
badge wallet you say?

anyways, i wouldn't support a guy that insults his customers like that. sure i've had customers i've wanted to say stuff to, but i won't do it... its just not right. take your money elsewhere. and IMO, get a bigger gun! lol..

just carry, be safe, be prepared, and hope you never need it.
best philosophy for a gun shop owner is to advise the customer what they plan to use and carry is not wise, but ultimately allow them to purchase and use what they are comfortable with... arguing with the customer (as what happened with the op) is just bull headed...

My personal carry weapon is a snub nosed .38 airweight S&W revolver.
:'( that gun is flat out illegal in canada... it's on the list of prohibited weapons, and the only people who can own prohibited weapons are military, and people who have prohibited licenses, which they stopped issuing in 1994

It all boils down to
1 Bad guys fight or flight responce
2 YOUR confidence when you draw your gun.

Bad guy is not gonna look at your gun and go "pffffft thats a .25, wussy". It will be his choice to fight or run.
If you shoot em in the eye or nasal cavity, a .25 will end all his troubles.
Hell just anywhere in the face and the will stop the attack.
My .02
Todd S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you never know...

warning NSFW/NSFK!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s376ZbPG-OM

seriously though, if you want to do some serious damage, why not just carry a judge... or any .410 shot pistol for that matter... you can use any? .45 cal round or a .410 shotgun cartage... at close range, a .410 shell is hard to miss your target, and will do a HELL of a lot of damage

still fairly concealable, though i would imagine it would be a fair amount bigger than a .25

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
or any .410 shot pistol for that matter
I've got a nice heavy leather jacket that will stop a squirrel gun load.....Most of the .410 pistols will also chamber the 45 Long Colt. For self defense purposes I'll go with the Colt round though it is mediocre at best compared to modern ammo of major caliber. A 9MM is VASTLY better than the Long Colt and in a smaller package..:headbang:

Once again, you are suggesting a round that has no record involving self defense. ANY shotgun shell is designed for a long barrel and will not deliver it's rated velocity without one. Snake Medicine in a pistol AND they are very large. Don't even bring up the American Arms derringer! There is a lot of junk out there....cool as heck, but not serious weapons by any definition.

It is about total loaded weight and how it feels in your hand for me.
IMHO the reliability of a gun used for defensive purposes is the most important feature. Most semi-autos can be made to jamb using a 'limp wrist'. AS I've stated, there is no perfect stance in an emergency situation and unless a pistol is TOTALLY RELIABLE it get's traded off in my book. That includes most off the shelf 1911's and both Sigs I've owned. After literally shooting hundreds of semi-auto pistols and tens of thousands of rounds, my first generation Glock Model 25 is one pistol you can pry from my cold dead fingers! I have a customized 1911 Colt Officer's Model that is just beautiful, but if I had but one gun it would be the Glock. In the past I had a S&W Model 625 and reloaded 170g semi-wadcutters for it achieving minute of angle accuracy with that load. While having the Glock in my possession I tried the revolver round because I could not get the Glock to jam no matter what I did to it. To everyone's surprise it fed the rounds reliably and with the same accuracy as plain ole GI rounds. It is not the most accurate semi-auto I've ever fired but it IS the most reliable! My hands are medium size but the '45 and 10MM Glocks are large pistols. However the reliability puts my confidence at a 'high' and I can adjust to it's large girth and easily hit whatever I'm shooting at. Confidence in the ability of a firearm AND confidence in yourself is a often overlooked key to using a pistol round for self defense. I guess I should add...IMHO...

Last edited:

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a nice heavy leather jacket that will stop a squirrel gun load......
Bet your life on it? Is so tell me where to meet up and we will test your little theory. Im thinking somewhere in the deep south say mid July......

Do you wear that jacket every day of your life? If you do you must not live where is very warm in the summer.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The Judge is a gimmick.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Judge is a gimmick.
:icon_confused:

Bet your life on it? Is so tell me where to meet up and we will test your little theory. Im thinking somewhere in the deep south say mid July......

Do you wear that jacket every day of your life? If you do you must not live where is very warm in the summer.

:icon_idea:

hahn, scooter would like to meet you

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The mechanics of shooting between had guns never changes. The actual physics change but the mechanics never change. When you choose guns of a similar weight they are interchangeable w/o thinking about it. My training has proven that time and time again. Bigger the caliber just means a bigger hole and a bigger bang. Bigger is not always better.

When it comes to guns, everyone has a opinion but it boils down to personal preference.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got a nice heavy leather jacket that will stop a squirrel gun load.....Most of the .410 pistols will also chamber the 45 Long Colt. For self defense purposes I'll go with the Colt round though it is mediocre at best compared to modern ammo of major caliber. A 9MM is VASTLY better than the Long Colt and in a smaller package..:headbang:
:icon_rofl:

The .45LC is pretty much comparable to .45ACP, which is well known to have a lot more punch than a 9mm. Since they were originally designed for black powder they have a lot of extra case volume with smokeless and can be loaded to be in the same class as a .44mag depending on what gun you are shooting and what your pucker factor is. There are "cowboy" loads that are aimed more for making the bullet make a noise when it hits a plate than punching through anything that are much weaker however.

I am not a big fan of the Judge, however I am a fan of the .45LC. Thanks to the Judge stirring interest there is becoming more and more self defense ammo available for the .45LC.

I will admit, most .45LC's are not very good for concealed carry, they are from back in the day when open carry was common. I very much prefer the looks and feel of the older guns though, I do enjoy open carrying my 3# hog leg when I deer hunt. Both the .45LC and ACP are legal to hunt deer with in Iowa, even my blackpowder .44 1858 is. The 9mm is not.

I like me a gun with a little heft anyways, which is why I open carry my '58 when I hunt deer weather pending. :icon_thumby:

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
A little factoid involving the '45 LC...the N frame Smith that Dirty Harry carried was actually chambered in this caliber and not the 44Mag as touted in the movies. They did this simply because it 'looked bigger' for the close in camera shots....

The only reason I discount the LC as a defensive cartridge is the physical size of the weapon. And I'm not even going to discuss the tiny ineffective guns that can be found chambered for it.

Bigger the caliber just means a bigger hole and a bigger bang.
Your right! It hasn't a thing to do with transferred energy now does it?:D

I hear a weee voice saying..."Stay away you mu.mu..mugger...or my '22short will d..d...do the talk'in!":joke:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual

Snake medicine....:stirthepot:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

tgallmey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Beats a sharp stick. If thats what you shoot well then more power to you. Its better to hit your target with a 22 than miss with 44 IMO. I carry most of my handguns but lately its been a Beretta 92fs inox I usually carry between a fullsize 1911 and a XDM 45 4.5 I need to try a Crossbreed holster. I lazy conceal as in Indiana you dont have to conceal so all I have are full size guns I just rock a retention holster and a plaid shirt :icon_thumby:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
IN is NOT an open carry state. If it was I would not have applied for my CCP. Depending on where you are depends on the people around you react to someone 'having a gun'. A friend lives in Brownsburg and is constantly getting harassed bc he carries all the time. One time he said the officer completely dissembled his firearm and gave it back to him in pieces bc someone called in saying someone as a gun. Not being aware of your constitutional right is no reason to be ignorant. :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals