• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

convert 1354 to manual shift transcase?

coolboarder1231

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is it possible to convert a transfer case thats in a 1993 ranger to a manual shift transfer case, maybe via a kit?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
no.

swapping a whole manual shift t-case out of another truck is the best way to eliminate the push-button t-case (its actually a very easy swap).

coolboarder1231

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what are some details about the swap, what do i get it out of and is there any need to swap drive shafts too?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm sure if there's a will, there's a way to convert it... You'd have to get creative somehow though, the shifter shaft has 270° of rotation. Maybe some kind of pulley & cable system using a return spring could be used on it (someone else here a while back I also remember had rigged up a lever on the back of the case, and had a rod through the floor that he used to manipulate it through the various positions).

One thing though, there's no detent for 4WD-HI, so you'd need to rig something to hold it there as well (and you'll also find there is infact a neutral on it, too).

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
something could probably be ghetto rigged, but there is no kit....and i would wonder about the reliability of a complicated spring and cable system. a manual shift t-case is much easier and more reliable...and in most cases will probably cost about the same as trying to custom fab your own linkage (depends on your fabrication skills though i guess).

the swap is quite simple, and 100% bolt in. you need the t-case, the proper linkage for your particular transmission, shift boots and trim piece, and floor plate (the hole is already in your floor board, you just need to bolt in the proper pre-cut plate). if your going from a 1354 to a 1350 you'll also need the front drive line....your rear driveline can be re-used in any case.

reno

Reaction score
I know a 93 can be done, mine was done, but I do not know the details as to what truck the parts came from.

My question though, is there a shifter boot that will fit over BOTH shifters? Or will I have to modify 2 to make one? I really wish the guy that had this truck B-4 me would have left the Auto T-case in. He did the hub conversion as well.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
what leads you to believe the truck wasnt converted with a manual shift t-case from another ranger?

and yes there is a boot that will fit a truck with a 5 speed and manual t-case.

Last edited:

reno

Reaction score
I still have the push button in the dash, but the shifter sticking out of the floor shows other wise. Manual locking hubs also. Some was mickey moused, and I have straightend much of it. Welded a bracket, but need to replace 2 bolts to make it solid. Now if I could just find that stupid 4x4 indicator switch on the transfer case......:icon_confused:

91exploreron37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure if its the indicator switch but there is a wire on top of the t-case that I guess can only be it.

DONT do a 1350 swap if you can help it, I just swapped in a 1350 in my ex 3 days ago and it was a pain, Driveshafts were different lenghts and sizes, the t-case bolts have different threads between 1350 and 1354, a couple different shift linkages. trust me u dont want to have to keep running to the junkyard trying to find more parts.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
what are you talking about?

a 1350 swap is very simple. the bolts from my 1354 fit the 1350 with no problems. the front driveline needs to be changed due to the different outputs between the 1350 and 1354, but that doesnt add any more work since you have to unbolt the drivelines to change t-cases anyway. the rear drivelines are the same, though you may have to swap the output flange from your 1354 if you end up with a 1350 using a yoke-type output. there are different shift linkages, but just make sure you get the linkage from a truck with a M5OD or A4LD and you'll be good to go.

the shift position indicator is a 2-wire sensor on the front/drivers side of the case.

91exploreron37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The older 1350s use different bolts(mine was from an 85 and had the yoke output) and the front driveshaft I got with the t-case was too short so I had to go find a longer one. You got lucky with your setup wicked sludge.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ahh, d35/d28 was one spec i forgot about. that explains your driveline length issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals