• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling Differential covers, do they really matter?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Motorsport clone finned cover is on. This is the one from amazon for like 50 or 60 bucks but its not plug and play. You have to grind an internal fin so the speedometer or abs tone ring doesn't get smashed into it when you bolt the cover down.

View attachment 110581
Flap wheel cuts it like butter, later trucks don't have tone ring too.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Haven't thououghly read the thread, so may have already come to a conclusion.

For a functional gain, I can see the merits of a finned cooling cover on a Super Duty axle that's going to be towing heavy regularly. That said the only way I'd actually bother with changing it out is if something we're wrong with the OEM cover, warped, leaking, damaged, etc.

On a half ton or smaller truck/vehicle the only functional gain I see would be a drain plug. Matter of personal opinion if that feature is worth the cost. There are a whole lot of Rangers running around out there from the 80s-00s that have never had the diff opened and never had problems. Obviously draining isn't needed too often so I personally don't see it being worth the expense for a drain plug.

One of Ford's most famous axles didn't even have the option of having a finned cover installed. The 9" didn't have a replaceable cover at all, yet it is still one of the most popular axles for performance applications and a whole lot of 1/2 ton trucks over the years.

Now there is also the bling factor that can over rule all other considerations. Again that's a matter of personal opinion as to if it's worth it.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

For a functional gain, I can see the merits of a finned cooling cover on a Super Duty axle that's going to be towing heavy regularly. That said the only way I'd actually bother with changing it out is if something we're wrong with the OEM cover, warped, leaking, damaged, etc.

On a half ton or smaller truck/vehicle the only functional gain I see would be a drain plug. Matter of personal opinion if that feature is worth the cost. There are a whole lot of Rangers running around out there from the 80s-00s that have never had the diff opened and never had problems. Obviously draining isn't needed too often so I personally don't see it being worth the expense for a drain plug.

One of Ford's most famous axles didn't even have the option of having a finned cover installed. The 9" didn't have a replaceable cover at all, yet it is still one of the most popular axles for performance applications and a whole lot of 1/2 ton trucks over the years.

Now there is also the bling factor that can over rule all other considerations. Again that's a matter of personal opinion as to if it's worth it.

Short of something exactly like the Bank's ram air cover being available for these trucks, I would probably never bother, short of my truck spending a prolonged period of time on the track, for some reason. I think aside from a heavy load, the things that actually dumps a lot of wear into the axle in performance applications is the lateral pressures on bearings and gears when cornering.

I'd be interested to read some test data regarding the effects of lower overall diff temps, and the health of not just the axle's gearing, but also things like LSDs. I've wondered if there ought to be different service timelines for the differential for cars fitted with an LSD, given that the clutch materials would obviously wear into the oil.

Overall I agree with you, it's unlikely that even in a 1200LB Payload at 130 KPH+ for multiple hours is going to put the diff in a danger zone of sorts.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

There's some real nice synthetic oils out there. Over heating is even less of a concern nowadays. But who cares?

The Ranger was built for economy. It could use a lttle dressing up. The bling factor alone is well worth the price you paid. But it's more than aesthetic truckin'.

Old Ford Rangers are a dime a dozen. Most look pretty beat up. The remainder look all tht more appealing. They are so old that the sacred "blue book" means very little. These are the kinds of things that help the truck hold its value. It tells a savy buyer that you changed the oil in the differential at least once, and that makes for a higher resale price.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
and since my wife traded our full size saturday, it leaves me more "truck money" for the ranger.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There's some real nice synthetic oils out there. Over heating is even less of a concern nowadays. But who cares?

The Ranger was built for economy. It could use a lttle dressing up. The bling factor alone is well worth the price you paid. But it's more than aesthetic truckin'.

Old Ford Rangers are a dime a dozen. Most look pretty beat up. The remainder look all tht more appealing. They are so old that the sacred "blue book" means very little. These are the kinds of things that help the truck hold its value. It tells a savy buyer that you changed the oil in the differential at least once, and that makes for a higher resale price.
The thing I was always told, and I always found true when it came to buying used/older cars was that 1000$ of parts/upgrades to a 2000$ car does not make a 3000$ car.

Buying and selling cars with super popular aftermarket support and scenes has showed me that when I'm comparing two cars; the car with a couple of mods here and there, like an intake, aftermarket shocks and bigger tires is worth less than the clean, stock car with a few things wrong.

These rangers fall into that category IMO, it's really hard to find one of these trucks that hasn't been chopped up and slapped back together these days, or had some ill conceived modifications done to it.

At the same time, one of these trucks with the "in the know" modifications done to em, and has been obviously cleaned and taken care of is a gem to find on the used market.

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
yup. being a "car" guy my whole life. i pass on vehicles with trendy mods. mods add nothign to the price of a vehicle, to me, and usually make me less interested in looking at the vehicle.

but a diff cover, no one is even going to look under there usually. i have to paint mine because i don't like stuff that attracts unneeded attention and this being aluminum colored might not, but a black one won't either.

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
The thing I was always told, and I always found true when it came to buying used/older cars was that 1000$ of parts/upgrades to a 2000$ car does not make a 3000$ car.

Buying and selling cars with super popular aftermarket support and scenes has showed me that when I'm comparing two cars; the car with a couple of mods here and there, like an intake, aftermarket shocks and bigger tires is worth less than the clean, stock car with a few things wrong.

These rangers fall into that category IMO, it's really hard to find one of these trucks that hasn't been chopped up and slapped back together these days, or had some ill conceived modifications done to it.

At the same time, one of these trucks with the "in the know" modifications done to em, and has been obviously cleaned and taken care of is a gem to find on the used market.
We will never recover all of the money we put into a car or a truck. We never turn a profit, except for a mechanic I know. He buys old cars for the right price, then puts new wheels and tires on them, buffs and waxes,
and sells them for a profit. He's done this 11 times already!

A buddy of mine bought a 2002 Ranger for $1,500. He added a junkyard brush guard, a used tonneau, a junkyard bedliner, junkyard flares, newer Craigslist wheels and tires, and sold it for $5,000.

Rangers are really popular. Another friend, Glenn, worked on the Ranger assembly line here in Saint Paul. He became a shade tree mechanic when Ford closed it down, but he continued to make a respectable living restoring restoring them. He's been wonderful. Whenever I need a need a small part or some advice, I just run over and ask.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the time and trouble. But for sure, the high price of new trucks has created a certain demand for used.

The rest of us will not make a profit but will sell an upgraded truck for a lot more than its plain Jane variant.

20211120_145759 ragers 1.jpg

The $5,000.00 truck is on the right.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

There is a lot of things that go into what a vehicle is worth to the buyer. Generally, the Ranger doesn't fall into the category of people willing to pay more for an old but otherwise well taken care of vehicle. And I do agree that usually, throwing a bunch of upgrades into a vehicle is not going to increase it's worth unless you have the right buyer and you have the right year, model, and make of vehicle. But that is kind of like pure dumb luck and hitting the lottery.

Let's face it. Most vehicles are money pits that we will never get out of them what we put into them.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
There is a lot of things that go into what a vehicle is worth to the buyer. Generally, the Ranger doesn't fall into the category of people willing to pay more for an old but otherwise well taken care of vehicle. And I do agree that usually, throwing a bunch of upgrades into a vehicle is not going to increase it's worth unless you have the right buyer and you have the right year, model, and make of vehicle. But that is kind of like pure dumb luck and hitting the lottery.

Let's face it. Most vehicles are money pits that we will never get out of them what we put into them.
Oh, for sure! IMHO upgrades and modifications are not worth the time and the effort if the reason is purely profit. There are easier ways to make a living. The rest of us do them because we love them.

So go ahead and put on a set new wheels. Get some running boards, a roll bar, an off road lighting package, a winch, or a brand new finned differntial cover. It's your truck. Enjoy it!

You will never get your money back out again, but yours will sell a lot faster, and for a couple extra bucks more than a thrashed out plain Jane.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
These trucks are fairly in demand actually, turns out simple, reliable, and honest trucks are still desired. Thankfully Ford made billions of these things.

I've seen a few ultra-clean Ford Rangers up here sell for 10-15K CAD, because of the rust it's pretty rare that any thing over 10 years old is clean.

At the end of the day, short of modifications that ENABLE you to make money, this is a hobby for most of us and we'll lose money at the end of the day.

Where it gets weird/fun for me is trying to get this very cost effective truck even more cost effective. That's why the Banks cover peaked my interest.

If I drive this car for a lifetime, (with my annual mileage of 25-30000KMs a year) would I end up ahead or in a better place by getting more longevity out of my axle? The answer is most likely not, but still, a fun question to ask.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
i see them for 10-12k pretty regularly here in south texas. most are 5-8k though

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
These trucks are fairly in demand actually, turns out simple, reliable, and honest trucks are still desired. Thankfully Ford made billions of these things.

I've seen a few ultra-clean Ford Rangers up here sell for 10-15K CAD, because of the rust it's pretty rare that any thing over 10 years old is clean.

At the end of the day, short of modifications that ENABLE you to make money, this is a hobby for most of us and we'll lose money at the end of the day.

Where it gets weird/fun for me is trying to get this very cost effective truck even more cost effective. That's why the Banks cover peaked my interest.

If I drive this car for a lifetime, (with my annual mileage of 25-30000KMs a year) would I end up ahead or in a better place by getting more longevity out of my axle? The answer is most likely not, but still, a fun question to ask.
And if you drive that old Ranger for years and years, you will also save big bucks on interest. Over a life time it adds up to a quarter million. I drove my last truck for 26 years.

Banks cover or not, this is a hobby that not only makes sense but pays.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I might think about one of these diff covers if I was running a hotshot rig or something like that where I wanted to keep the rear end alive as long as possible.

That is literally the only scenario... any other situation where you are spending more money on a "cooling" diff cover than a normal diff cover is a waste of money.

I can't tell you how many old sacked out Rangers I've worked on that have countless hundreds of thousands of miles on them and the axles are still in good shape. Was the oil ever changed in those? Probably not... As mentioned... is cooling the fluid really a good thing? Does it depend on the fluid type? Intended use of the axle? I want data. Without some proof, it's a waste of money and reflects poorly on the manufacturer.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
I am more for the cool diff cover than the cooling of it. And my old one was getting surface rust and i didn't want to sand and paint it.

And who has that saying on thei sig about why build normal when we can build it for 10 times the cost amd countless man hours

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals