• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

could this be an issue?

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I currently have a project of taking an engine and tranny out of a 2wd shortbed ranger and putting it into a 4wd long bed. Now I know that in order to work the 4wd I'd have to bolt on a transfer case but would I need a totally different transmission? if the transmissions were different in the 2wd or 4wd applications is their someway to "convert" the one to the other? Also its obvious that the driveshaft from the shortbed won't be long enough but will the one from the long bed suffice?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It would be easier and cheaper to get yourself a 4wd transmission than converting the 2wd transmission to a 4wd.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright, I appreciate your input but if its possible, could you tell me why?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There are numerous parts inside the transmissions and if you don't have the proper tools, some of them can be a bear to remove and re-install.

You will more than likely have to buy a 4wd transmission anyways to get the parts you need to convert since not very many people convert their 4wd transmissions to a 2wd version, so why not buy a good one and just install it?

You can sell the 2wd transmission if it is a good unit and recoup some if not all of your money spend on a 4wd transmission.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm yes that sounds logical, alright, thanks! ok now how about the driveshaft issue? anybody informed about that?

btw this might be useful; the 2wd tranny is coupled to a 2.3l 4cyl coming out of a 1994 standard cab ranger short bed and its being installed into a 1993 ranger standard cab long bed.

Last edited:

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck trying to find a 4wd transmission for a 2.3; they seem to be fairly rare.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeaaa..not lookin forward to that, oh well, gotta take it one step at a time. I'm thinkin I might just have to live with no 4wd for a little while. But thanks.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Uhmm, uhh, yeah.... I have a 4wd 2.3 trans AND I live in Berwick, PA. Interested?

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dang, wow that was easier to find then I thought lol. is it a 5speed? what about the tcase, is it manual or electronic?

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
5 speed M5OD transmission. At the moment I have a 1354 manual t-case laying on the floor along with atleast one good electric shift 1354, i'd have to think up a price. And if you're wondering I DO have the shift linkage to go with the t-case along with a good shifter boot and floor plate. I believe the going rate for the 2.3 4x4 M5OD is like 325 right now, i'll have to find out how much the transfer cases are worth and then take a little off as a package deal type thing if you are interested. Or you could just shoot me an offer.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm, ok, well my trucks set up with push button electronic 4wd, so if I got anything I'd go with electronic. I have the motor too so that takes care of the motor, all the manual shift linkages and stuff. And..well to be totally honest even 325 is high for me. Are you possibly lookin for anything as far as trades go? Or maybe could you hold it till I do happen upon some extra change?

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
What do you have to trade?

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, prolly not much lol. I have everything available that I'm not using drivetrain wise on my 94 2wd. I have two useable fenders, one is in that black coating stuff they use before primer and one has some surface rust, I have the cab, you really don't want the bed lol. I have the wiring harness, a partial red interior, a 4.0 computer, some 15" wheels with tires, a grey 60/40 setup with the middle seat torn up but the center arm rest in great condition, I have a shifter and boot..lots of stuff for the right people. Do you have anything particular in mind that you'd want, even if its not in that list?

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Honestly I can't think of anything right now because i've already got so much stuff around I just figured that if you'd list stuff I could see if something interested me but as far as the Ranger parts that you have I really don't have too much of a use for them. I could probably take 100 off for the 2wd trans but that's about all it's worth to me because of what it is. If you had any tools laying around to trade I would be willing to listen to your offer but other than that I can't really think of anything.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm..well that sux lol. No sorry, I don't have any tradeable tools. Are you really anxious to get rid of it? If your not could ya maybe wait me out a lil till I have the money? it'll be a while:/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals