• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CPS sensor help...

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I am pretty sure my synchro is toast in my 2000 Ranger 3.0, I am getting squeaking sounds that sound like a bad bearing for one of the pulley's, but its not. Its located on the back side of the motor on the passenger side, and when I apply pressure to the CPS, the squeaking goes away till I release the pressure.

I have ordered part number DA2089 which appears to be the syncrho, I am waiting for it to get in and want to figure out how I am going to replace it. I have a good shop manual, but they appear to be using a tool to install the part. Is this needed? Is there a way around it? If not, where can I find the tool at? Also, what is the best way to get the motor TDC?

Thanks for any help!

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Don't know about the tool. As for getting engine TDC. Best way is to turn harmonic balancer by wrench. Park brake on, vehicle in neutral, wheels chocked. Pull the #1 cylinder plug. Disconnect the coilpack plug wire, easier if you have someone to help. Can have them stick a 3/8 drive, 6" extension in #1 cylinder hole. As you turn the engine (clockwise) the cylinder will push the extension back out of the hole. If your helper is holding a little bit of pressure on it, they will feel the cylinder start to go down. Stop at this point and you are TDC. Can double check this by checking your timing marks on the balancer too. The block mark is located high on the passenger side of the motor. My 3.0 you have to remove the air intake tube from filter out of the way to see the mark.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Don't know about the tool. As for getting engine TDC. Best way is to turn harmonic balancer by wrench. Park brake on, vehicle in neutral, wheels chocked. Pull the #1 cylinder plug. Disconnect the coilpack plug wire, easier if you have someone to help. Can have them stick a 3/8 drive, 6" extension in #1 cylinder hole. As you turn the engine (clockwise) the cylinder will push the extension back out of the hole. If your helper is holding a little bit of pressure on it, they will feel the cylinder start to go down. Stop at this point and you are TDC. Can double check this by checking your timing marks on the balancer too. The block mark is located high on the passenger side of the motor. My 3.0 you have to remove the air intake tube from filter out of the way to see the mark.
TDC will be marked on the crankshaft damper. If the piston starts to go down like you described, you will be after TDC. You will be at TDC twice, once at the top of the compression stroke (which you want to align the CPS) and once at the top of the exhaust stroke.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most of the Ford balancers I have seen on the 3.0's are marked but they are marked very lightly. Get a scotch brite or some sand paper & start cleaning on the balancer. Also after you clean / sand it, a light coat of WD-40 sprayed on the balancer will help the markings show up just a little better.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals