• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crooked 8.8 rear after badly stuck

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well long story short, I got my truck stuck VERY bad. Front end completely submerged up to oil pan with 7" lift and 33's were totally buried. Broke come alongs, had a stock cherokee try to yank me out...no luck, an f150+f250 superduty diesel chained together....no luck, and a 12,000# f350 dump truck 7,3 turbo diesel with lockers all around, 5.13 gears, and tire chains...no luck. Ended up having to hire an excavator to pull me out because after 3 days, i couldn't let it sit submerged in water+mud any longer. It was tricky though because I was on private property (irresponsible, I know.)

Anyways, that is all over with now, and my passenger frame rail is a bit bent from the jeep idiot wrapping the chain around the frame rail and going full throttle with a 10-15ft head start.
It is not bad, but its something.
I have also noticed that my driver side rear tire sticks out further than my passenger tire now, and looks like the rear might be cocked slightly. This kind of makes sense because The trucks were pulling from my rear end. What the hell should I look for that would cause this? Thanks.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
1st off, NEVER pull from suspension components. I dont care HOW broke you are, get a hitch reciever or some sort of tow point on the frame.

Now that that's out of the way, check to see if your leaf springs are bent or maybe your whole frame got shifted to one side.

Check your welded plugs in your axle to see if they've spun or moved at all. I would also remove the axle and take it to a frame shop where they can straighten it.

Last edited:

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that was my only real option unfortunately. I learned a lot from that mistake already.
And i got a 31 spline explorer 8.8 to be swapped in soon, so this axle isn't getting any money thrown at it haha. Could it be the leaf spring centering pins? I know its hard to pinpoint it, but I just want some ideas if possible. Thanks man.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I may have found the problem? I looked at the passenger side near the blocks/u bolts and it looks like the axle is indeed shifted towards the passenger side a bit. What do you think bent/gave way for this to happen? Bent leaf spring centering pin?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well I may have found the problem? I looked at the passenger side near the blocks/u bolts and it looks like the axle is indeed shifted towards the passenger side a bit. What do you think bent/gave way for this to happen? Bent leaf spring centering pin?
Hey, I found the problem. Some joker put stacked lift blocks in the back of your truck. :nono:

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I found the problem. Some joker put stacked lift blocks in the back of your truck. :nono:
Hey hey hey, this was my first truck and I was on a budget! Work with me haha...
Seriously, what the hell is the problem, she may have blocks, but she's my baby! :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hey hey hey, this was my first truck and I was on a budget! Work with me haha...
Seriously, what the hell is the problem, she may have blocks, but she's my baby! :D
I didn't say blocks were bad. I said STACKED blocks were bad. I have blocks in the rear of both my RBVs, but I only have one set per vehicle.

Stacked blocks are generally considered a weak point in the stability of a lift. The blocks may have simply shifted over each other when the rear axle was jerked on by the tow vehicle. I would start by checking the axle tubes to make sure they haven't moved, like brinker showed. If that doesn't appear to be the case, jack it up, loosed the bolts, and try to get it re-centered. Then drive it a bit and see if it vibrates.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I knew what you meant haha, thanks for busting my ass, it got the ball rolling for the 64 inch leaf swap i've always wanted to do.

My axle plugs are still intact and look the same as they did before i got stuck. It makes sense that the axle could've just shifted over, i can see that the blocks are not centered any more. Thanks bud.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
when your stuck like that you need some 5/8-3/4 cable or heavy chain to run under the axles and chain/shackle back to the frame.... the first set of trucks should have been able to get ya from that point with a little effort...it can potentially roll ya over as well ging that way but it is quite effective sor serious stucks ime.

look carefully around the rear cab/front spring hanger mounts and make sure you did not bust the frame.

likely the added blocks busted through the guide hole and allowed the shift. should be able to look at the leaf and see how far it went pretty easily. i have sheared my spring pins many times though and the shift was cause from that.

i would argue that with good traction bars and 5/8 u-bolts with heavy plates and proper blocks, they are fine stacked in this application.

Vexy

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks a lot for the info bobbywalter. I appreciate it. Gotta take a look after work tomorrow.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
after I rolled my truck the axle was shifted from the shackle mounts on the frame being bent...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals