• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crown Vic motors?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

I found a deal where I'm getting 2 Crown Vic motors complete, one is an '88 and the other is a '91, both under 90,000 miles. I'm also getting the computers and all underhood wiring.

Some random questions/thoughts...

Are these motors good?

The tech article says the motor have the correct oil pan?

Would they benefit much from an Explorer intake?

Do these motors have decent heads?

I will be swapping cams. Are there decent cams for this motor? Or will I need to swap to a HO firing order cam?

Last edited:

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They make an excellent core to build up. I'm using a 89 Crown vic engine in my build, because it was the cheapest way to get a roller cam core. All I ended up keeping was the block, crank and rods. These are the same as an H.O. The main differences are cast pistons, a very small cam, and the upper intake is different. I would never waste the money on a HO, because people want too much extra $, that you could just bring the vic motor up the same spec with aftermarket parts for less.

-stock they make no power, but that is easy to remedy

-oil pan is the same as a Fox

-lower intake is the same as an H.O, only the upper is different.

-pistons are cast, not forged, unlike H.O.

-heads are E7's... whether you consider those decent is up to you:icon_twisted:

-any cam will work in it. Switching to the 351W/5.0HO firing order is as simple as changing where you hook up 2 wires on the distributor.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
-pistons are cast, not forged, unlike H.O. I'm not sure how much this matters. Is there a lot of difference between the two for a mild daily driver?

-heads are E7's... whether you consider those decent is up to you:icon_twisted: I have no idea how these are compared to others, or if they're good enough for what I want to do.

-any cam will work in it. Switching to the 351W/5.0HO firing order is as simple as changing where you hook up 2 wires on the distributor. I'll have some injectors to deal with too, and if I rewire them the computer won't be able to properly compensate for what the 02 sensors report. Bank 1 may report lean, so the computer will send more fuel to bank 1, but 2 of the injectors would be on bank 2. Then bank 2 now reports rich, so it sends out less fuel to bank 2, but 2 of those injectors on bank 1 where it's already too lean. It's like a dog chasing it's tail, and it only gets worse.

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh right, injectors. I converted to carb.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
They make an excellent core to build up. I'm using a 89 Crown vic engine in my build, because it was the cheapest way to get a roller cam core. All I ended up keeping was the block, crank and rods. These are the same as an H.O. The main differences are cast pistons, a very small cam, and the upper intake is different. I would never waste the money on a HO, because people want too much extra $, that you could just bring the vic motor up the same spec with aftermarket parts for less.

-stock they make no power, but that is easy to remedy

-oil pan is the same as a Fox

-lower intake is the same as an H.O, only the upper is different.

-pistons are cast, not forged, unlike H.O.

-heads are E7's... whether you consider those decent is up to you:icon_twisted:

-any cam will work in it. Switching to the 351W/5.0HO firing order is as simple as changing where you hook up 2 wires on the distributor.
All Vics came with E6SE heads. And the pistons have no valve reliefs, same as the 86 HO motors. The heads will have an "S" cast into the corner next to the valve cover (in front on passenger side, rear corner drivers side) E7's have a "T" in this same location.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Oh right, injectors. I converted to carb.
You can wake it up some with an HO cam or a B303 cam, but anything larger requires new pistons with valve reliefs, as does swappping any other heads than what those two motors came with. The valves are sunken a full 1/8" deeper into the heads as opposed to all other SBF heads, this is why the pistons don't have valve reliefs.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
pretty good motors. low hp though. i belive about 150-170hp and 260-280 ft lbs. im thinking of going with a 91 cv motor. dont need gobs of power just more torque. i have a set of gt40's and b303 cam i can use whenever i get a motor to mess with

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Well I went and bought two Crown Vic motors. One is an '88 and the other is a '91. There is only 99,000 miles on the '91. I saw both cars they came from, and both were real clean and rust free.

I got this stuff for $300... good deal or not?

2 complete motors (with correct oil pans)
2 starters
2 computers
wiring harnesses
drive shaft yokes

He also had a chain about 5 feet long with a hook on one end around each motor, and he let me keep both of those and also gave me a heavy duty 2" ratchet strap.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
thats a good deal. u should sell me one minus the intake and wiring

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That's a steal, no matter which way you cut it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

I'm thinking shipping to Macon would be a deal killer. I'm planning on using one now for this swap that's nearly stock and build the other one up through time.

I was thinking it was a good deal... even if just for 2 roller blocks and the oil pans, then everything else is a bonus. This guy derbys these cars and goes through about 12 to 15 of them a year, but pulls the 302 to run a 355 chevy, so I'm thinking I can get some more good deals too, although he only sells the ones that run good. He had another one there, but said it smoked, so he didn't really want to sell it, and of course some don't run at all.

Now I just gotta figure out a few things to add a bit more power to one... my buddy has a carbed 350 with a 700R4 and 3.42 gears in a '91 Sonoma, so I'd like to keep up with him. He has a bigger motor than I do and about 600 to 800 pounds less weight than I have, so...

I just made two chains a couple weeks ago, one was 2' and the other 3', and each chain had 2 hooks. The 5' of chain and 4 hooks was almost $50!!! Now a couple weeks later I get two 5' chain for free lol. And the ratchet strap is about $20 at TSC.

So yeah, I'm happy with the deal:headbang::icon_thumby::yahoo: :icon_bounceblue:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals