• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise control stopped working

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My cruise control stopped working and my manual doesn't show where any fuses for it would be. Any ideas?

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
I had a cruise control quit working and it was just a broken mechanical cable from the actuator to the throttle. Was a 5 min job to replace.

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Mine stopped working a while back too... Just haven't felt like digging through a bunch o wiring (already checked fuses). So let us know what you find out.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My Dads stopped working and it was the "set accel" button on the steering wheel.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know many people who bothered fixing theirs when it went out....they just did not care about it and who really uses it that much when you have a lift and huge tires?? I would not worry about it, Bro!!!!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I don't know many people who bothered fixing theirs when it went out....they just did not care about it and who really uses it that much when you have a lift and huge tires?? I would not worry about it, Bro!!!!
Personally when I use mine, I get a little better mpg's. I "set it and forget it" at 70mph, lol. If I'm using my foot, I'm much more erratic.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I never use mine...it works since I check it once or twice every other month!!! But....I just lke to use the foot-a-roonie!!! I get 24 mpg on the open road with my Ranger.....over 340 miles to a tank-full!! When I gas up I still have a few gallons of gas in the tank. Now, whenever I drive around town a lot running errands and hauling stuff, not so good of gas milage.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I never use mine...it works since I check it once or twice every other month!!! But....I just lke to use the foot-a-roonie!!! I get 24 mpg on the open road with my Ranger.....over 340 miles to a tank-full!! When I gas up I still have a few gallons of gas in the tank. Now, whenever I drive around town a lot running errands and hauling stuff, not so good of gas milage.
Sorry 407link, off subject a bit but Straycat - how big is your tank? I usually get 320-340 miles out of a tank. My tank is about 20 gallons (19.5 IIRC), which is 16-17 mpg.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Back on topic....

I've heard of a couple where the brake master cylinder pressure switch went bad.
Remove its connector and jumper the two sockets in the connector together, tape it to prevent shorting, and drive it, try the cruise.

The same pressure switch that was subject of the recall for causing fires. If yours got the fuse link installed for the recall, disconnect it and jumper the two wires sockets together, drive test cruise.

They had enough problems with that pressure switch to make a recall. You should suspect it for a cruise problem, since that is its function (secondary cruise cancel).

The brake pedal switch and clutch switch are also suspects to investigate.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
On my jeep it was the clock spring in the steering column see if you have power to the on switch on the steering wheel with the key on. You have to find the right schematic for some reason it was not in the haynes schematics. The brake switch is the usual suspect if you bypass it do it for diag only unless you plan on turning it off every time you want to slow down or stop.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
MY cruise control worked at any speed with the stock 2.9 86 BII set-up, I used to use it on the trail all the time in low range while crawling along, but after the swap to 4.0L, it no worky now at all. I'll check out the switches like posted above.

I have a hand throttle for the trail now, but it sure would be nice to hit cruise on the way to and from the trail.

THX for the info guys!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The brake pedal switch and clutch switch are also suspects to investigate.
I can rule out the clutch switch right here and now without even seeing the truck or knowing if it's a manual. If it was the clutch switch he'd be complaining that it doesn't start, not that the cruise doesn't work.

If it's an auto, I can rule out the brake switch because he'd be complaining that it doesn't come out of park.

The pressure transducer on the master cylinder and the set/accel switch would be my favorite suspects in that order. See if the switch is leaking, if not, odds are its a bad switch.

Also, the transducer has actually been the subject of several recalls by now.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
So your cruise control doesn't, mine does not turn off. I set it and then hit the off button, it decals like it should and then resumes. Luckly the clutch and brake switches forces it to shut off. And as the last failsafe, the brake pedal has a vacuum dump line to force the cruise control to lose its vacuum or I just press the clutch in.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
My truck puked the speedometer cable out, so I have no cruise, either!

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can rule out the clutch switch right here and now without even seeing the truck or knowing if it's a manual. If it was the clutch switch he'd be complaining that it doesn't start, not that the cruise doesn't work.

You'd be short-sighted, making that assumption^^.

It uses a completely different set of contacts, subject to "fully released pedal position". Completely opposite of the "fully depressed starter interlock contacts".

The cruise cancel portion of the clutch switch is set to open a set of contacts as soon as you make the slightest depression of the clutch pedal. If there is a hydraulic or mechanical pedal issue keeping the pedal from fully traveling up, those contacts could easily remain open.

The simple way to rule that out is use your left foot to lift the clutch pedal fully up and try to engage the cruise.

I'd still jumper that MC "recall" switch, ruling out it and the added fused harness segment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals