• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise/TC lock up failure

Xs1100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L .....For now
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys, I need some help regarding my new little truck. It's a 89 ranger extended cab 4x4 with the 2.9L. It's been an awesome little pick up, plows threw snow like crazy!!!:yahoo: My problem is that the cruise control and the lock up function in the torque converter seem to have failed at the same time, need some hints on ware to start looking without throwing a pile of $ at it. I'm going to do a 351w swap but as long as it runs and goes I'm going to leave it be for now. I do want the functions to work so it don't burn anything up. Any ideas guys? Thanks for your time and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I had a 1989 Bronco II with the same issue years ago. I thought it was a solenoid failure, but I mostly used the truck as a college campus beater so I wasn't very worried. When I finally got around to tracking down the problem, I found that the bundle of wires that go down to the transmission under the hood had come in contact with the exhaust at some point and it melted the wires.

I disconnected the wires from the transmission and fished it up into the engine compartment where I was able to repair the wires by one at a time cutting the damaged wire out and soldering a repair section in with heat shrink tube. Worked great after fixing it. I'd check those first. When I put it back in, I made sure to zip tie the bundle out of the way.

Is there any particular reason why you're thinking 351w for a future swap? 302 fits with a little less custom work and is plenty of power for a little Ranger

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Xs1100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L .....For now
Transmission
Automatic

Well....I guess it's because it's what I've got. It's a great engine, create motor with less than 10k on it. I've already done the 302 swap so I want a challenge. I'm planning on a 351w and AOD. Only real issue I believe I'll run into is exaust but I scored a set of L+L headers that claim to bolt right in. The motor had plenty of snot in the big 1/2 ton with 35in tires so I can't wait to see how she's going to act in a ranger As far as the cruise and TC not locking, I did read that LED tail lights could interfere with those systems. And wouldn't you know it......Those systems kicked the bucket the same time I got my cooooooooooooooool tail lights. Also I noticed that they are on when the key is on, but very faint. You can't see it during the day but at night it's there. The lights do function normally though, breaks turn signals driving lights hazards...... There are also 2 sensors that could interrupt the TC and cruise, bpps, and BPs. If I still have the issue after I replace the the lights I'm digging into those as well as the wiring. It's odd that it still hits 3rd and 4th as it should. It's only those 2 systems affected. It does have me stumped.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That makes sense, if I had a motor sitting around I would want to use it too.

I'd check the wires anyway, it was pretty obvious in my case when I shined a light down here and looked at the wires without disconnecting them. It still shifted through all the gears, but fuel efficiency was terrible and it shifted a little hard.

Xs1100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L .....For now
Transmission
Automatic
Yea it's getting about 12mpg right now......Lol I know they don't get great milage and using the 4wheel in Montana right now is sucking up fuel but damn.....12 is horrible. Figgured I should be getting about 15-18 out of a small v6. If it stays that way I'll really be happy with the 351 mileage. My last ranger got 25 on the highway, but I regeared it and it was 2wheel drive

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I never really worked out exact fuel economy when the torque converter lockup wasn't working, but it was somewhere between 8 and 12 mpg. When it's working like it should, it's usually around 18-20 mpg. So it's definitely worth fixing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals