• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

custom ttb steering questions

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently just replaced all 4 of my ball joints and installed adjustable camber bushings. Now I'm needing to replace my steering linkages to get an alignment. My truck in a 97 with the ttb front end and has a skyjacker 6" lift. I have a drop pitman arm installed but its only like 2". What I'm wanting to do is get some dot tubing and some weld in bungs to make my own linkage and use stock new ranger tre. Are all tre thread sizes the same? I'm not seeing anywhere that offers the bungs and specifies what the thread pitch/diameter is for the bung, just that its for the steering linkage. Does anyone know what the thread pitch/diameter is for stock ranger tie rod ends? I'm really not interested in doing the gm 1-ton tie rod ends. My truck is only on 33s and I don't beat on it when I'm off roading.

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need the FA600 Drop pitman arm , I would Suggest Getting the Supper Runner Steering Kit as well .

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't want to spend that kinda money when i still need to replace all my steering joints and can make the steering setup that should work much better than what i have now. Im wanting to do something like this, but use tre instead of heim joints at the knuckles and pitman arm. Would this not be a good way to do it and help eliminate(or greatly reduce) bumpsteer?

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That Is a Good Setup And I see where your Coming from About $$ .

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I used the set up above known as Stonecrusher steering. I modified mine to use 1 ton t.r.es. Look through my build if you'd like some ideas.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea now Im just wondering if i buy the weld in threaded bungs from like ruff stuff if the threads are the same as ranger tre.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger threads are something like 14 MM (metric). The chevy "1 ton" T.R.E's are 7/8-18. Drill your knuckles/pitman arm out to 7/8" and use the tapered insert ruffstuff offers OR just buy a reamer and ream them out. That's about the only way you'll get to use T.R.E.'s on a custom application.

good luck.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So if i use heims I'll have to drill it out anyway, won't I? Looks like I won't have a choice but to use the chevy tre. Is there any way to use a tre instead of a heim where the driver's side linkage bolts to the saddle on the drag link?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure you could figure something out. Take a piece of 1" or 3/4" thick steel, shape it to the DOM, weld it on, and drill/taper a hole for the T.R.E.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I recently just replaced all 4 of my ball joints and installed adjustable camber bushings. Now I'm needing to replace my steering linkages to get an alignment. My truck in a 97 with the ttb front end and has a skyjacker 6" lift. I have a drop pitman arm installed but its only like 2". What I'm wanting to do is get some dot tubing and some weld in bungs to make my own linkage and use stock new ranger tre. Are all tre thread sizes the same? I'm not seeing anywhere that offers the bungs and specifies what the thread pitch/diameter is for the bung, just that its for the steering linkage. Does anyone know what the thread pitch/diameter is for stock ranger tie rod ends? I'm really not interested in doing the gm 1-ton tie rod ends. My truck is only on 33s and I don't beat on it when I'm off roading.
I don't want to spend that kinda money when i still need to replace all my steering joints and can make the steering setup that should work much better than what i have now. Im wanting to do something like this, but use tre instead of heim joints at the knuckles and pitman arm. Would this not be a good way to do it and help eliminate(or greatly reduce) bumpsteer?

simply put the best setup for you and most cost effective and simple is the fa600 pitman arm.

the bump steer....or what we call bumpsteer in your case will be the same as stock when going with the right arm. you have the wrong arm for a 6 in lift.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buying a $200+ pitaman arm, both new stock tie rod ends and dragling( they're wore out) is better and/or cheaper than doing that stone crushed style steering linkage? Didn't know if u knew all mustang steering components are wore out.

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you want the Right Steering Geometry you want that FA600 Drop pitman arm as I said in the First post ! .

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Buying a $200+ pitaman arm, both new stock tie rod ends and dragling( they're wore out) is better and/or cheaper than doing that stone crushed style steering linkage? Didn't know if u knew all mustang steering components are wore out.
if you replace the rod ends with tre's maybe.

on amazon its 186 shipped.....i usually find good steering componants in the junkyard....have to pic and choose but nearly new shit for a complete system for 15-20 bux is what i was doing...

i have custom shit now.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The FA600 drop arm certainly is an easy solution, Since you say you're not using it that hard offroad, it'll probably work fine for you, but certainly there are some other options (if you're at 6" of lift, the FA600 would still leave you with a 2" disparity anyway).

Ranger TREs have a M22-1.5-R thread (passengerside), and a M20-1.5-L (driver side). I have yet to see anyone offer threaded bungs that accept those threads, everything seems to be 7/8"-18 or 1"-18 (betting metric thread taps in those sizes are not easy to come by either).

I continue to hear complaints about continued bumpsteer with the Stonecrusher style setups. Though I have not run the setup personally, my gathering is about all it does is eliminate the extreme tire wear (toe-in/out variations) you'd otherwise have with the stock linkage & too-short pitman arm, but little else.

My suggestion is to just get the Superlift Superrunner steering kit (K-link style) and then modify it by dropping it's centerlink down to where it belongs (same plane as your axle pivots).
It is a shame you have to buy something brand new and then hack it up, but even in spite of that it still seems like the easiest option that actually works well.
Alternatively you could build something from scratch basically copying Superlift's design, and maybe improve on it in the process (such as lengthen the upper tube of the idler arm so it won't deflect on it's bushings as much).
I've also seen a couple guys build setups that are like a hybrid of the K-link and a crossover type setup (similar to a swingset style setup, but with a centerlink & idler arm instead of swingers).
Two examples here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119782
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337182

IMO, I'd just keep it simple and center-mount the tierods. That's how mine is and I've had no complaints with it.

You need the FA600 Drop pitman arm , I would Suggest Getting the Supper Runner Steering Kit as well .
Cannot use both the FA600 drop arm and the Superrunner kit... One or the other.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This steering issue is enough to make u wanna swap to a solid axle. I appreciate all the ideas. I guess Im gonna have to do some more research and see what i can come up with. Tire wear us #1 priority, bumpsteer is #2. If i can reduce the bumpsteer, i can live with that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals