• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CV drive shaft going bad?

johnnybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, I've got a rattle when I accelerate in gear (all gears, same sound). Crawled underneath and found that the drive shaft had a little play in it - I could move it with my hand back and forth slightly without either of the ends moving. I'm thinking it's time for a new drive shaft. Can anybody tell me if I'm right?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, you are partially right.

The CV joint drive shafts don't go bad. They have to be good at some point before they can go bad. CV drive shafts are like alcohol. Already rotten when you get them.

If should be able to move forward and backward some without the end cups moving, that is how you get drive shaft flex. It's if you can move it side to side significantly that you have a problem.

johnnybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got the forward/backward play but no side to side. I've also got a little play in the transfer case and at the rear axle - like I know I'm supposed to have- about an eighth to a quarter inch as I turn it back and forth. The play I'm concerned about is when I turn the shaft by hand back and forth and it moves just a little (a couple of millimeters) and makes a soft metal on metal sound without moving the cups or the round connectors with the 4 bolts in them at the tr. case and rear axle. I've never noticed that kind of play before.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know.

Is the noise come in around 35 and stay around the 2000 RPM range? Mine has the same noise, I have not pinned it down yet, but I'm fairly sure it isn't the drive shaft because I can, under the right conditions, make it happen sitting still.

johnnybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Noise comes in as soon as I'm in gear and moving. Same sound no matter what the rpms.
Can't make the noise if I'm not moving in gear.

Tb8983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Not big enough
Transmission
Manual
Mine was good and didn't have any side to side play at all and was driving it a week later and then broke the damn thing. There ok but want to convert to a more conventional u-joint style one. Maybe when I do the axel swaps

johnnybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I took off the dummy tr. case and opened it up- that's the source of my noise. There's a sleeve that goes around a sprocket/gear thing that has a little play in it, and then there is a little play between 2 sproket/gear things that one sits on the inside of the other. It's making noise almost all the time now, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. What do you think?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It will get worse, and then it will start to hurt things.

johnnybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just found one in a junkyard - picked it up and shook it and it has small clunk or ping coming from the inside. I just don't know if it's supposed to have a little noise or if this another bad one?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals