• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cylinder no.3 misfire

myold96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
my 2.3l sometimes misfires under load then i shift down,i've changed the plugs the wires are next followed by the coil pack and ign module because they are original from 96 and i was told the modules go bad after five years or so,should i go aftermarket(accell or ?) or go motorcraft?

ianyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
If the motorcraft is known to blow after 5 years of loyal service, I'd go aftermarket IMO

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The original design was subject to failure, enough that FoMoCo offered a payment under court order to those that had to replace the TFI module that was distributor mounted. The later models put the TFI on a heat sink mounted to the inner fender or firewall.

I would not replace a module unless it failed completely as I do not think that is the source of your problem. They generally work or they don't, being subject to heat related intermittent failures where a connector opens up when hot, and closes after it cools. In that case you would not have fire until it cooled down. Most do not have 'miss' type failures.

A spark plug will have its hardest time to fire when you are working the engine hard, such as climbing a hill in a higher gear without down shifting(manual or automatic). You might get slight 'bumpiness' or small hesitations in that case.
I would look more at the fuel delivery and metering system if you have a miss when you down-shift and increase rpms. Maybe check the MAF for cleanliness, or fuel pressure and delivery volume. When you bump the rpms, the fuel volume needed increases quickly as rpms increase and if the filter is gummed, or the pump or regulator a bit weak, you might have a miss due to lack of gas.
tom

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would just replace the coil pack with a new Motorcraft part. I've been told the Accel coil packs don't last as long. The Motorcraft coil packs seem to be good my 97 2.3L still has the factory coil packs. The TFI modules do fail a lot. Its a good thing that Ford got rid of them and went to coil packs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals