• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D44 in a ranger,wait no SAS ????

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
http://autofab.com/mdl_44_ranger.htm
how cool is this

""It all started with a question: How can I get some better braking? We discussed the situation with Mike regarding brakes and offered our solution. Put a Bronco model 44 full size front end in your truck. You will get bigger rotors, calipers, hubs, bearings, ball joints, axles and ujoints along with a stronger housing as well. Track width is increased by almost 8 inches to the F150 track width. Problem here is the need for fiberglass fenders and a wider rear end as well. At first Mike did not want them because he thought they would look bad. He had seen other rangers with fiberglass and did not like the looks or the fit. After we showed him the quality of Autofab fiberglass he was convinced to go ahead with all of the modifications necessary.

Because the tire and wheel is 4 inches further out a 1250x33 inch tire on a 15x8 wheel clears the inner sheet metal when traveling. With a coil bucket and single shock mount we were able to achieve 19 inches of wheel travel. With coil over setup properly and a full cage for reinforcement, the frame can be notched for more up travel on the left side and with care can achieve 22 plus inches of travel. On the yellow truck we were not caging so we chose the lesser travel with a coil bucket. This also allowed us to keep the factory ac and power brake booster.
Good shot here of the diff side in relation to the shock and air bump stop mount. Note the coil bucket with another final bump stop as well. You can see the custom pitman arm for Autofab's equal length swing set tie rod setup. This truck is setup with 6 inch F150 coils and believe it or not the ride is very plush!
Yep, 6 inch F150 coils support this front end. Good view of the Autofab radius arm pivot bracket. Bolt on design makes it nice when you have to work on it later. Radius arms are fabricated from heavy wall DOM tubing.
Basic foundation kit price is $3450, includes TTB beams, custom race quality radius arms and 1 inch Rod Ends with special mounting brackets. TTB pivot brackets and reinforcement mounting provided with grade 8 hardware. TTB housings come with 1/4 plate gussets fully welded, cut and turn alignment work and mono ball pivots installed. Exchange for good TTB housings. Core price $600
9 inch Ford Skid Plate Autofab part: SKID900 price $190 bolts to pinion support. Includes 2 tabs for rear mounting included. (welding required) This trick fitting skid plate protects the vital junction of the 3rd member to the rear end housing face. It fits like a glove with minimal sacrifice in ground clearance.
19 inches of front wheel travel really makes it hard to get the front tires off the ground! Great toe change results from the equal length tie rod steering system. Price for front steering kit is $2500, includes modifications to the steering knuckles and custom pitman arm. All tie rods are 4130 tube and rod ends. All necessary spacers and hardware included with the custom idler bell crank ready to locate and install. Some welding will be required. "
AUTOFAB, this is pretty cool

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
looks a lot like what 4x4 junkie did to his ranger... only he shortened the 44 beams and looking back he wishes he had kept them full width.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Thats quite a bit over what I did (I just ran the stock POS steering on mine for a few years too).

Mine was more just bolting the D44 into the D35's place. Leaving it wide actually wouldn't have changed my installation much though (mostly with just mounting of the radius arms at the frame, and possibly having to modify the coil buckets).

With the extra width the swap would've been well worth it, but when I narrowed it (this was 11 years ago), I wasn't aware of just how similar the D35 already was, so it really didn't gain me a whole lot (never had any issues with the brakes or bearings to begin with).

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Meh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the D44 use the same joints as the D35? If you want the bigger brakes, bearings, balljoints and hubs you can do a D44 knuckle swap... Unless you really want the extra width on your 4wd pre-runner.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, Wouldnt the same be achieved with a 44 knuckle swap as far as bigger brakes are concerned? Obviously you wont end up with insane travel like that 3500 dollar kit will give you but most people cant afford that anyway.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Meh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the D44 use the same joints as the D35? .
Yep, and that's what pissed me off midway through my swap.
I was given info from more than one source that the D35 stuff was all much smaller & weaker, but it actually ended up that my D44 now has a D35 right-hand shaft in it (the D44 one I had shortened they didn't cut the splines with the proper pressure angle, then I discovered the D35 one was exactly the same size, with the right splines on it :no2: ).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals