• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D44 ttb

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Can I use my D35 spindles on a D44 ttb?

I really like my brake calapers, and rotors, and I dont have any wheels that are 5x5.5.

Thanks...

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont know if you can, but it would completely defeat the purpose of swapping in a 44 TTB

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Not if he wants the full-width of it.

However I'm not sure the feasibility of doing it. Perhaps it's possible to do the reverse of the D44 knuckles swap on a D35? I'd look into new wheels before putting D35 stuff on with it's smaller brakes though.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not if he wants the full-width of it.

However I'm not sure the feasibility of doing it. Perhaps it's possible to do the reverse of the D44 knuckles swap on a D35? I'd look into new wheels before putting D35 stuff on with it's smaller brakes though.

then what about the rear? the only full-width rear axle i know of with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern are the early 80's dodge's, and i'm not 100% sure on that.

being armpits-deep in an axle swap right now, i have found that rims are the cheapest part of the swap

besides the weaker hubs, smaller brakes, and poor bearing spacing, i believe the 35 has a smaller balljoint. this works for the bigger 44 to smaller 35 swap, but i don't think it would be very easy to do the other way around.

now, i have heard of swapping just the spindles (44 onto 35), and leaving the knuckles alone. i seem to remember one website that showed the process, but i dont remember ever seeing an end result.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
I do want full width and a bigger ring gear and spiders(I keep breaking my d35), but my truck has the '97- 2piston caliper assembly.

I really dont like the "wear" type spindle / caliper assembly. Did they make any NON wear type for the D44 TTB?

Im also looking into if I can put mustang sn95 4 piston calipers in place of my 2 pistons and bump up to a bigger bore master cyl.

Can you tell I like stopping...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Wear type spindle caliper assembly? :icon_confused:

The D35 and D44 are almost exactly the same in construction, other than a difference in the size of some parts such as the brake rotors and spindle lengths. I don't think the swap would change whatever that is you're referring to (neither one uses cartridge bearings, which is actually a good thing).

What exactly are you breaking on the D35? If it's just the spiders (ring & pinion failure is almost unheardof), I bet sticking an Aussie Locker in there would put a quick end to that (and give you better traction in the process, virtually eliminating the need to use speed for traction).

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Wear type spindle caliper assembly? :icon_confused:

The D35 and D44 are almost exactly the same in construction, other than a difference in the size of some parts such as the brake rotors and spindle lengths. I don't think the swap would change whatever that is you're referring to (neither one uses cartridge bearings, which is actually a good thing).

What exactly are you breaking on the D35? If it's just the spiders (ring & pinion failure is almost unheardof), I bet sticking an Aussie Locker in there would put a quick end to that (and give you better traction in the process, virtually eliminating the need to use speed for traction).
kinda off topic but i was searching for d44 swap i have a guy i can trade my d35 for, and the 44 being full width will match my 8.8 i have(its out of the same truck as the 44). my buddy wants my d35 for his 4cyl ranger, and will give me his d44 out of a fs bronco. he doesnt want full width but i do, and i wont have to sas. plus i can use my 8.8 and have the same bolt patterns.

i had a question for u. i need to move out my upper buckets about 2" and widen the beams an inch to mount in stock location(i already seen the pic u posted about that). is there any aftermarket or stock bucket i could use(maybe modifying?). also which radius arms would be best to fab off of, the bronco 2 arms i have now or the fsb arms? also just fab up radius arm mounts or buy a lift arm like the sas guys are doing for the eb44?? sorry to jack the thread i just figured other people would see this in a search and they would have some good info

edit: whats the max safe tire size one could use on a ttb d44?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
max tire size is iffy, as driver dictates that in a big way.

37 in tires are livable, though for a driver 35's are it for me.

depending on what lift brackets one has, you can potentially just drill new holes, or add a minimum amount of metel and drill new holes to run a full width ttb44.

pre 80's 2wd trucks have buckets that can be easily reworked to widen your spring width to the outside. steering isnt too bad. a few ways to tackle that as well.

viper command,

as to the 35 on 44 spindles:icon_confused: get some 96 bronco 4 wheel abs axles and put your 35 stuff on those, though that usually goes the other way around:shok:

if its the hat hubs you like the the 86/87 44 setup would be ideal, and just bite the cost on new wheels. junkyard f series wagons are cheap...paint em and be done with it.

the ranger brakes suck compared to the 150, and the big reason to do a ttb 44 knuckle swap is the brakes and optimum bearing setup.

OF COURSE,
"get some 4 wheel abs ttb axles and get some pre 80's buckets" are defiantly EASIER SAID THEN DONE OBJECTIVES..

but none the less....simple solutions as well.

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
The d44 ttb i had seen had the same style brakes as the d28.

so now I know its best to keep the d44 spindles.

And thank you guys for pointing out how stupid of an idea thay was...LOL

Thank you guys

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And thank you guys for pointing out how stupid of an idea thay was...LOL

Thank you guys

hey, if i didn't ask a TON of stupid questions, i wouldn't have an awesome pile of parts (and the knowledge) to swap it all in

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
kinda off topic but i was searching for d44 swap i have a guy i can trade my d35 for, and the 44 being full width will match my 8.8 i have(its out of the same truck as the 44). my buddy wants my d35 for his 4cyl ranger, and will give me his d44 out of a fs bronco. he doesnt want full width but i do, and i wont have to sas. plus i can use my 8.8 and have the same bolt patterns.

i had a question for u. i need to move out my upper buckets about 2" and widen the beams an inch to mount in stock location(i already seen the pic u posted about that). is there any aftermarket or stock bucket i could use(maybe modifying?). also which radius arms would be best to fab off of, the bronco 2 arms i have now or the fsb arms? also just fab up radius arm mounts or buy a lift arm like the sas guys are doing for the eb44?? sorry to jack the thread i just figured other people would see this in a search and they would have some good info

edit: whats the max safe tire size one could use on a ttb d44?
Use the FS arms (extending them).
For frame mounts, a lot of guys use the '73-'79 mounts. The '73-'77 mounts are a bit more tucked up than the 78-'79 mounts (IIRC about 2" or so), something maybe to keep in mind for your caster.

Agreed, 37" tires if you play nice, but 35s otherwise (yeah not much different on a 44 than with the 35, the axles & u-joints are the limiting factor here).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals