• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dad just got a 1994 Ranger

p38fln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 L GTDI
Transmission
Automatic
my dad just got a 1994 ranger XLT for my brother -
2.3 liter, 108000 miles, no AC, no cruise, and 5 speed transmission, but it does have a sliding rear window :D

I mean JUST bought as in we haven't even tried to drive it home yet. Anyway, after he test drove it he noticed it ran slightly rough and the brake and ABS lights were on.

My theory - it's got 17 year old spark plugs that were supposed to be replaced 8,000 miles ago. Its probably time to change them, which will probably cure the rough idle. Should anything else be replaced besides the plugs and wires?

The ABS and brake lights are probably on because its low on brake fluid (He did check, it was 1 inch below the "MAX" line). Could this be because it has very worn brakes? (Not sure of the brake condition). I told him just put more fluid in and see what happens, did find on another site that the ABS light on the 1994 Ranger will come on if it gets low on fluid.

Also curious on the clutch adjsutment - I found the manual for the newer 1996 Ranger that says adjust the clutch by lifting on the pedal. Is this the same for the 1994 Ranger? Is it possible to overadjust the clutch?

Also, it's most likely on the original timing belt - I heard its supposed to be replaced at 120K. Should we wait until 120K or is it likely to break before then?

This is a vehicle that has sat a LOT over its long life - under 7,000 miles a year, and sat for months at a time according to the previous owner.

Thanks!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
low brake fluid will turn on the brake lite but not the RABS light, which can come on for a number of reasons, they're not that useful anyway so I wouldn't worry about it if the brakes work fine...

the clutch isn't adjustable, it's hydraulic and self adjusting, if it's squishy it needs to be bled, if it's solid and just disengages/engages near the end of travel that's normal.

I'd change the timing belt when you have a chance, it's a non interference engine but in your garage is a little nicer than on the side of the road...

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
+1 on what Scotts90Ranger said.

My ABS light was on and it turned out that my RABS valve was stuck. I bought and installed a new one, but the difference was minimal. Careful driving will warrant that you will almost never have to rely on RABS.

The clutch line is quirky to bleed because of how it coils below, then up and around the frame rail. That allows for some bubbles to find a spot to sit in the line and make it slightly squishy. My clutch and my dad's clutch have a noticably different feel, yet they're the exact same system and parts.

Ditto on the timing belt, too. Ford and Haynes recommend replacing them every 50,000 miles and I personally wouldn't let it go past 70-75K. They do last a while, but why risk being absolutely stuck somewhere when it takes a half hour to change it under the comfort of your own shadetree...

Also, run a code check on it and see what codes appear. My ranger always threw a code about the ignition something-er-other, but I didn't worry about it for long because I swapped in a turbo motor and said goodbye to the original distributorless system. It's not a bad one, but I'm able to diagnose problems easier with my newer, yet technologically older, system.

p38fln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 L GTDI
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't personally seen it but dad tells me he saw a distributor on the engine (or something that looked really similar to a distributor) when he looked under the hood.

Said the clutch feels firm, but doesn't disengage until its almost down on the floor, so sounds like a hydraulic clutch.

He also wanted to know if the spark plugs (we were both surprised to see 8 spark plugs in the 4 cylinder engine) would come apart in the cylinder head as some Ford engines are known for (like the 5.4 V-8 Triton) or if it was something he could do with a wrench.

Ronv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers S
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Congrats on the,new" vehicle.

One thing I do on any vehhicle I buy used is change ALL the fluids. Anti-freeze-oil-transmission-rear end etc. You don't know their condition. Changing belts is a good idea also. I know it seems to be a bunch of $ right after buying the truck but you don't know the former owners maint habits.

Good luck with our new vehicle.

RonV :) :) :)

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The ABS and brake lights are probably on because its low on brake fluid (He did check, it was 1 inch below the "MAX" line). Could this be because it has very worn brakes? (Not sure of the brake condition). I told him just put more fluid in and see what happens, did find on another site that the ABS light on the 1994 Ranger will come on if it gets low on fluid.
You should never have to top off brake fluid. The fluid doesn't just magically disappear. If it's low, it means either the pads are very worn and need replaced, or there's a leak.

I would change all fluids like Ronv said, (including a full brake fluid flush) and replace the spark plugs, timing belt, and filters. Inspect the suspension for worn bushings and inspect brakes and tires.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I haven't personally seen it but dad tells me he saw a distributor on the engine (or something that looked really similar to a distributor) when he looked under the hood.

Said the clutch feels firm, but doesn't disengage until its almost down on the floor, so sounds like a hydraulic clutch.

He also wanted to know if the spark plugs (we were both surprised to see 8 spark plugs in the 4 cylinder engine) would come apart in the cylinder head as some Ford engines are known for (like the 5.4 V-8 Triton) or if it was something he could do with a wrench.
you'll probably need to seperate the top half of the intake to get to the plugs.

i'm also almost 100% positive that the 94 2.3 didn't have a distributor, but does have coil packs.

and like was previously said, if you lose the timing belt it won't ruin the enigne but it will be a pain in the ass.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No other Ford engine has had the spark plug problems that the Triton engines have had.

p38fln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 L GTDI
Transmission
Automatic
Like I said, I didn't see the engine because its in Ohio and I'm in Wisconsin, but www.fordparts.com has a distributor cap listed for the 1994 2.3 L engine (P/N E9FZ-12106-A) and he says he saw one on it.

And I almost forgot to include pictures! I am a little confused about how its showing oil pressure with the engine off.

Last edited:

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
they started doing EDIS in 1989, which means no dist cap.

they list a part, doesn't mean the truck actually uses it unless ford went backwards for a few years and then back to EDIS.

p38fln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 L GTDI
Transmission
Automatic
ah, ok. I can't imagine that this 1994 would be any different than the others on the road, so we'll just assume that he's wrong.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The untrained eye might confuse the coil pack for a distributor on a quick glance as there's 4 spark plug wires in a square pattern.

EDIS is the second generation DIS which started in '96 I believe, the first was just DIS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals