• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 30 SAS

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It seems like the Dana 30 would be my best route to take to replace my Dana 28 in my 89 BII.
Ive read on a few places that you can beef them up close to the Dana 44 strength, but none of them say how they did so.
Any ideas? I was thinking to replace the 27 spline axles and carrier but that defeats the purpose of using a Dana 30 to begin with.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well it uses the same U-joints as the D35 TTB and D44, I like the D30 other than the unit bearings and lack of real hubs, I wouldn't hesitate to do an SAS with one if it had the warn hub conversion on it. The gears themselves are known to grenade though. Any reason a D35 wont work for you? They should also be trussed, the housings are thin!

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just figured a SAS, locked , would be better for trail riding and also be easier to fix on a trail then the TTB.
Could you explain to me how the hubs are different from Dana 35 hubs? The weak bearings dont seem to be a problems since I would replace them during the build. Let me know.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
a D35 has actual locking hubs. the D30 runs somthing call CAD. Central Axle disconect. Its not THAT bad. Its somthing that works well in therory. Ive seen a lota jeepers run with them and they never bother messing with the hubs. They just run a cable to he controler and ditch the vac' hose. AS for the bearings, they just cant take the beating and they are a unit bearing, same idea as a front wheel drive car and most new 4x4 trucks. Some ppl hate them, some dont care. I dont like them. Its nice to be able to repack your bearings after a dip in the drink

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your doin a SAS why not just put the d44 in, if your gunna do it, do the better set up. the d35 ttb is even stronger then the d30. if it was me i would do the d35ttb or the d44 . i just think the d30 is a wast of time. yor gunna spend alot of money makein it stronger then a d44.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
it all depends on what kinda wheelin hes gonna do. Why run the extra weight if it realy isnt needed. a V6 35" tires and an open diff, it should survive ok.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The 95-up D30s (with the larger joints) don't have CAD, IMO the d35 is easier to work on, also if you bust a shaft on a D30 you must swap another one in since you need the shafts in or the bearings will come apart and if you leave a broken shaft in the axle it's going to flop around since there's no hubs to unlock.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Swap in a Dana 35 TTB, it is stronger and cheaper to build. To get a Dana 30 as strong as a STOCK Dana 44, you will spend $1,500+ on it.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will eventually run a 302 on 32" x 12-13" tires. How does lift hold up on the D35's? Wouldnt it make the axle width smaller the higher you lift?
I would like to do a D44 SAS but its very hard to come across early Broncos around here. If you do see one, its 90%+ restored. I saw a 1977 the other day that was on 38's and completely rhino lined for $15k.
The reason I was going with the D30 is because Cherokees and Wranglers are easy to come by around here, It would be the same width as the explorer 8.8, it would have a 4.5" bolt pattern, and I figured it would be stronger then a D35 TTB.

phatdaddy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
460/ 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Your Ttb Is A Stronger Then The Jeep Axles

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the track width stays the same when you lift it. the lift lowers the axles mounting points. the D35 TTB is a prety solid axle. I have had minor issues but they were all caused by abuse.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, with the D35, I need to find a 91-94 explorer 4wd and take everything but the axle housing? Dont the carrier and axles fit in the D28 housing? Or should I just take everything? Are D35's wider then the D28's?

Last edited:

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, with the D35, I need to find a 91-94 explorer 4wd and take everything but the axle housing? Dont the carrier and axles fit in the D28 housing? Or should I just take everything? Are D35's wider then the D28's?
You should really find a '95-'97 Ranger Dana 35 TTB and take EVERYTHING including the beams. The Dana 35 stuff will NOT fit into the Dana 28 beams.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You should really find a '95-'97 Ranger Dana 35 TTB and take EVERYTHING including the beams. The Dana 35 stuff will NOT fit into the Dana 28 beams.
Whats different between the 91-94 and the 95+ Dana 35's? Also, what spline are they and what spline are the D28's? Im trying to do a little comparing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals