• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 35 Regear - pinion shim?

P.L.A.N. - A.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I have finished my 8.8 regear, and started on the Dana 35. It's a 1992 Ford Explorer.

Question is, the shim under the big pinion bearing is a slinger shim. It's like 4.45 inches across. This is a big shim, but there is nothing like it in the rebuild kit I got from Yukon. If I need to drop my pinion lower than this stock shim allows, how do I do that? Can I get big shims like this? Why are they not included in the Yukon kit? Is there something I am missing...

Correct me if I am wrong, the pinion depth is set with the shim that is b/w the gear end of the pinion and the big pinion bearing. I got a boat load of shims for the carrier adjustment, and another big pack of shims, but I am not sure how this works. Am I missing something about pinion adjustment in the Dana 35?

Oh yeah, that big shim got wrecked when I took the pinion bearing off... anyone know where I can get another one? Ford is no help and the gear places don't seem to know what I am talking about...

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
LMC truck or get another chunk for parts.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yeah, that big shim got wrecked when I took the pinion bearing off... anyone know where I can get another one? Ford is no help and the gear places don't seem to know what I am talking about...
Sounds to me like you are S.O.L. for finding another. Did you use a bearing puller ot try and get the bearing off, or use a hammer and chisel? Let me look as I may have one floating around.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah, my Yukon kit failed to include those slinger shims as well :rolleyes:

How badly did the shim get damaged? If it's not too bad, you could hammer it back straight (mine got bent somewhat from the bearing removal also, but I was able to straighten it out).
I got lucky, my D35 needed about .005" or so thicker shim, so I was able to just add from the shims that were in the kit.
If you do need a thinner shim, Dana30 shims are right about the same size and might be easier to find (try a rearend shop or someplace that regularly does differential work, they'll probably have a stack of different sizes).

Last edited:

groovygriffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey Plan and 4x4,
i bought the same Yukon kit with out the slinger/shim. i was able to locate the part at my ford dealer and LMC has it for like $160...:bawling: the ford dealer also told me i didnt need that shim. i was planning on putting shims behind the inner pinion bearing (.04 thickness of slinger/shim) to get my bearing out the same distance as if that shim was in there to maintain my pinion depth. OR build by own shim do escape out ragious prices. how did yalls turn out?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'd be afraid to run it without it, as I'm sure it's there to aid in lubrication of the pinion bearings somehow. $160 sounds like the price for some other part, a simple flat piece of circular steel can't possibly be that much (can it? :shok: )

I'd certainly MAKE one out of a piece of sheetmetal (making sure it's the same or thinner than what's needed), then use any additional shims from your kit to bring the pinion up to the required depth before paying more than $20 for one.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
i run mine without it. i just built mine a couple weeks ago. mine didnt even have one in there when i opened it up.... so i run without it and 0 problems so far. lol

groovygriffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep thats the price of the Slinger/Shim... wow thats a high price. i just ran without it and set my pinion to the depth off the pinion (4.56 yukon, etched on end of pinion). almost done with the rebuild of front axle and still have gears/bearings for the rear. ill let ya know how it turns out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals