• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dear Rusty......

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I personally think, right now that is, that all vehicles models should be offered in a gas version with electric as an option for those that want to swap over to a more so called eco-friendly version. This way the customer has the power to choose but the company isn't stuck with the likes of the Ford F-series Lightning only in electric.

Body's and frames can just have the holes in places for all versions and just have cross members and such changed so that the body is universal and be used for all versions. This way you save money on both ends, customer and company, but can accommodate year to year the demand for each version and not have to shut down the whole plant to retool to accommodate the demand just shorten the work week for that version.
You end up with a jack of all trades, master of none. They did the work to make the Lightning an almost feasible EV truck. Having it compatible with a gas system would just make it worse. Same would apply to going the other way.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Not so fast?
"The White House has reportedly instructed the Department of Energy (DOE) to widen the scope of its evaluation of natural gas terminal proposals, including the Calcasieu Pass 2 (CP2) project in Louisiana, to include impacts on climate change, the economy and national security, according to the NYT, which cited three anonymous sources with knowledge of the decision. The White House’s move could allow the Biden administration to wait until after November’s presidential election to decide the fate of CP2 and new natural gas export facilities.

The changes to evaluation criteria for LNG export terminals reportedly under consideration could derail the construction of key facilities like CP2, according to the NYT".

Biden Admin May Have Just Punted Key Energy Decision Until After The Election | The Daily Caller

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
From my understanding, it isn't as fuel efficient, and you need to keep the gas system for start up and switch it back on before you shut it down. My local school district used it in their busses for a number of years and then abandoned it and went back to diesel powered busses. I'm guessing it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be and ended up costing more than running with diesel.

there are duel fuel and straight systems. propane is better then e85.

I personally think, right now that is, that all vehicles models should be offered in a gas version with electric as an option for those that want to swap over to a more so called eco-friendly version. This way the customer has the power to choose but the company isn't stuck with the likes of the Ford F-series Lightning only in electric.

Body's and frames can just have the holes in places for all versions and just have cross members and such changed so that the body is universal and be used for all versions. This way you save money on both ends, customer and company, but can accommodate year to year the demand for each version and not have to shut down the whole plant to retool to accommodate the demand just shorten the work week for that version.

ford did do this years ago. it is the cd6 platform. front drive....rear drive....awd/4wd and electric and hybrid......

but the dumb bastards offed and didnt power out the explorer hybrids.....

they are morons...incapable morons....

i just hope they dont ruin and kill the ranger again....

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
You end up with a jack of all trades, master of none. They did the work to make the Lightning an almost feasible EV truck. Having it compatible with a gas system would just make it worse. Same would apply to going the other way.

i have a hybrid. there is nothing like it. 7200 watts capable. it is ridiculous.

it will run my house on backup current for a week on 40 gallons of fuel.

that is insane. my house heater.....all of the meat freezers....the bedrooms and bathrooms....water heater and entertainment center.....and washer and dryer.

i will miss it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
i have a hybrid. there is nothing like it. 7200 watts capable. it is ridiculous.

that is insane. my house heater.....all of the meat freezers....the bedrooms and bathrooms....water heater and entertainment center.....and washer and dryer.

i will miss it.
And a hell of a lot quieter than a regular generator.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Dunno how it compares to gas but propane for heating a house is not as cheap as it used to be.
funny because I hopped on my computer just now to pay the $200 lease fee I have to pay every year because I don't use enough propane. I put a lot of work into making my house more efficient, and burn a lot of wood, and these MFers gotta penalize me for it. I would buy my own tank if everything didn't keep breaking.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
funny because I hopped on my computer just now to pay the $200 lease fee I have to pay every year because I don't use enough propane. I put a lot of work into making my house more efficient, and burn a lot of wood, and these MFers gotta penalize me for it. I would buy my own tank if everything didn't keep breaking.
They get you coming and going, don't they? You get hammered to be more efficient and then get billed for it when you do.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

i will miss it.
Yeah, but it isn't one platform set up to be either an EV or ICE. It isn't as good at being an EV as a Lightning and it isn't as good at being an ICE as an ICE if the electric part was removed.

My 150yo farmhouse has no such problem...

And a hell of a lot quieter than a regular generator.
The owners usually make up for it though...

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
My 150yo farmhouse has no such problem...
an old coworker of mine was renting an old farmhouse that had a gas well on the property, old windows and no insulation and they kept that place at 75 all winter long :icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
an old coworker of mine was renting an old farmhouse that had a gas well on the property, old windows and no insulation and they kept that place at 75 all winter long :icon_rofl:
Now I could go for that...

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
They get you coming and going, don't they? You get hammered to be more efficient and then get billed for it when you do.
turns out its $213 now, inflation you know.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Yeah, but it isn't one platform set up to be either an EV or ICE. It isn't as good at being an EV as a Lightning and it isn't as good at being an ICE as an ICE if the electric part was removed.

it is an ice vehicle. just a run of the mill 3.5 liter truck....with lariat trim.

410 hp and 500 tq. stripping all of the electrical bits out of it only puts the towing and max payload back to normal.

so its better at being an ice vehicle then the vast majority of all vehicles ever produced before it came along....before 2021 how many machines had 400 hp and 500 ft lb? 1/2 ton with 12-14k towing? its a super truck....turned super duper truck with the powerboost.

it is what trucks should be.

and its not an electric platform for sure like the lightning. the lightning is a custom platform.

the cd6 otoh....is exactly that...it can be either or....or combination.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For alternative fuel on mobile equipment and stuff propane is WAY easier to store on a vehicle than CNG, CNG is normally compressed to 3600psi which isn't near as dense as propane as a liquid so it takes like 3x the volume to go for a shift... Propane also displaces less oxygen when used in an engine so you get more power (there's probably more in the chemical reaction too, but the air displacement is part of it). As for power until you get high rpm propane is pretty similar to gas partly because it is around 100 octane but NG loses a little on a non purpose built engine from energy density, NG is like 110 octane I think.

Unlike gas with gaseous fuel when you add more fuel the EGT's get higher, on gasoline when the EGT's start getting hot you can add more fuel to cool it off, you have to do the other way with gaseous so there's why you only see low rpm stuff running NG and LP like busses and trucks with big engines turning slow...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
there is lng and cng....and lpg.

lpg is the easiest to transport produce and use. by a mile. these all can fraction up or down.

my sperry book wont load....so this is pretty basic alternative.

https://www.uti.edu/blog/diesel/cng-lpg-lng-fuel

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals