• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DeLone: Then, now, and along the way

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey guys I'm here from Motor Trend Forums and Car Fanatics. This is what I posted there.

It was Christmas of 2009, happily spending my days here in NC celebrating such a great day. I was showered with gifts just like all Christmases, but I thought, why not get a gift for myself? It was at this point in time when my dad and I had the little dark blue 1990 Toyota Pickup Deluxe trim with the 22R and an upgraded 5spd manual. This was the truck I learned to drive stick on and learn how to do various other things on like oil changes, shock replacements, and other small stuff. But I couldn't keep it. It just didn't sit right with me. Don't get me wrong, I loved that golf cart to death, but I wanted something bigger, safer, and overall more solid. Now I did want something bigger, but not too much bigger. I still wanted a compact truck. The inner Ford guy inside me said the obvious, get a Ford. :icon_cheers: But a F-150 was to big and inefficient for me and my high school budget. Then I started to look into these little buggers named Rangers. It turns out they were capable, efficient, and reliable little trucks with very cheap parts whenever the rare problem did arise. I had a feeling gas was going to go nowhere but up (and boy was I right) so I wanted the most fuel-efficent Ranger I could find. A 2WD, 4cyl, 5spd manual Ranger was the one for me. So I started to look at dealers, and I found nothing in my price range. I turned to Cars.com and Auto Trader... nothing but garbage. Then came the almighty Craigslist. There were plenty of Rangers available, but most did not fit my criteria. Almost all were 4WD or automatic gas-sucking 6cyls. I finally narrowed it down to two choices. A silver 2004 Ranger XL with 210K miles but no factory A/C. And a red 1996 Ranger XLT with 179K, a brand new clutch, new tires, new brakes, and a new rear main seal. In pictures this thing was damn near perfect. In real life, NOPE. The rear bumper was dented in, two of the three mirrors needed replacing, the carpet and headliner needed replacing, there were dents everywhere, the sway bar was shot, there was a hole in the dash where the radio used to be, the seat felt like a toilet in a public restroom, the smell literally made me and my dad sick whenever we drove it, the center armrest was broken, there was no spare tire, the seat belt was broken, and there were cigarette burns in the dash. It was a mess. But my dad sold the Toyota and scraped up some change around the house just throw me a curve ball and bought that little dog of a Ranger that had nothing going for it if it weren't for the brand new clutch. I was shocked, to say the least. When he dragged that thing home it felt like Christmas all over again, even though by that time it had happened a month ago. Despite all of its, er, blemishes, I loved the thing to death. Everything about this little truck was superior to the Toyota! Ride, fuel economy, power, looks... everything!

Here it was on the first day: :icon_pepsi:

I knew it needed work, and boy did I work. I replaced almost all of what was wrong with it from stuff I found at the salvage yard (you have no idea how hard it is to find a Ranger at LKQ that ISN'T totaled). New seat, mirror, steering wheel, the works. :cool: But by the time everything was fixed, I felt like I needed a new challenge. One of the first things I did was go to Best Buy and let that teenager in the back wire up a new Sony head unit. But the stock speakers just weren't performing like I wanted them to. So I used the money from the job I, at this time, just recently got to buy brand new speakers in all four corners. I saved a bunch of money going on the internet and installing them myself, and hey, it still sounds just as good as if a pro did it!!! :p But the particular speakers I bought seemed to be lacking something. Bass. This is when I sprung the money for a brand new 10" Kicker sub, mounted right behind my butt. :D

It wasn't too long after that when I was going off campus for lunch when I hit the big two-double-oh... :yahoo:

But then I was still not done. Like I said, I wanted my next truck to be bigger. Well, this was my next truck. Why isn't it getting any bigger? So I decide to put a 2" leveling kit on up front with some brand-new, fully-adjustable, nitrogen-filled Rancho shocks. And this was the result...

I installed the kit myself, and I'm pretty damn proud of it if I do say so myself. :icon_thumby:

I was nice and satisfied with the results. I felt like a million bucks rolling down the road. DeLone was perfect, she ran great and I felt like I'm in a truly bigger truck. Life couldn't get any better!!!

But then I ran to my biggest problem yet.

The wimpy little wheels looked waaaaaaayyyyy too small for those now towering wheel wells.

So here is the solution.

Ladies and gents, I present to you the all-new DeLone!!!

Congrats DeLone!!! I LOVE YA!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Neat story, Bro!!! Truck is looking much better!! Your Toyota story reminds me of the time I bought one of the 3 Toyota trucks I have owned. I bought a really nice 86 Toyota 4x4 extended cab back in 2000 with 48,000 one owner original miles, 6 inch lift with 33 inch tires, solid front axles, 4:58 gears modified 22R motor and a near flawless body. Interior looked and smelled new still. I paid $2,500 for that Yoda!!! I drove it out west several times and took it to Moab several times and it was a fun neat little truck. I never had an issue with it. I put a Tom Wood's rear drive shaft on it and added a set of headers to it. But, I had so many vehicals at the time and needed the room to store more vintage MX bikes I purchased and space was getting scarce with all the goodies I have collected over the years. My buddy's son still has the Yoda and never has had any issues with it, just the normal maintenance from wear and tear!!

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Neat story, Bro!!! Truck is looking much better!! Your Toyota story reminds me of the time I bought one of the 3 Toyota trucks I have owned. I bought a really nice 86 Toyota 4x4 extended cab back in 2000 with 48,000 one owner original miles, 6 inch lift with 33 inch tires, solid front axles, 4:58 gears modified 22R motor and a near flawless body. Interior looked and smelled new still. I paid $2,500 for that Yoda!!! I drove it out west several times and took it to Moab several times and it was a fun neat little truck. I never had an issue with it. I put a Tom Wood's rear drive shaft on it and added a set of headers to it. But, I had so many vehicals at the time and needed the room to store more vintage MX bikes I purchased and space was getting scarce with all the goodies I have collected over the years. My buddy's son still has the Yoda and never has had any issues with it, just the normal maintenance from wear and tear!!
Nice man! That 22R was gutless but it could go on as long as it damn near pleased. I had 235k miles on it before it was sold and I actually see it around town every now and then. :icon_thumby:

Right now I have a Heartthrob cat-back on the way and I was also looking at a Helix TB spacer and a True-rev intake... Any suggestions???

lneidlinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...are you located in the southwest MI area? I've seen a ranger just like this driving around here.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
...are you located in the southwest MI area? I've seen a ranger just like this driving around here.
No, far from it actually. I'm in NC.

If you look at the front bumper you can see my favorite teem being represented. :headbang:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Whew...I looked hard at that font end...whew you really like that team?? Whew......my guts just popped out my butt....lol.... just kidding.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Whew...I looked hard at that font end...whew you really like that team?? Whew......my guts just popped out my butt....lol.... just kidding.
Whew man I just got tired from reading all of those whews man... whew.

lol jk man :icon_cheers:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Haaaaaa, whew....lol

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Good lookin' truck you have there stickshift!! Also good to see another NC man on here!! How far are you from Hickory, NC?

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what size are those tires and where did you get the leveling kit?

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Good lookin' truck you have there stickshift!! Also good to see another NC man on here!! How far are you from Hickory, NC?
About 3 hours away... I have a friend in Lenoir and I've been trying to go up there to see a car show but I cant find the time to go up there for a day.

Last edited:

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
what size are those tires and where did you get the leveling kit?
Tires are 30x9.50x15 Uniroyal Liberator A/T ($99 each)

Rims are Cragar Soft-8's 15x7 from Discount Tire ($53 each)

Leveling kit from Fat Bob's Garage ($55)

Rancho front 4X4 nitrogen-filled, fully-adjustable shocks from Amazon ($26!!!! each :yahoo: )

Now about the leveling kit... when you put two inches on up front, your TTB's don't like that very much. I was under a time crunch so I bit the bullet and let a shop put in some camber eccentrics and do an alignment. It came out to about $180 for this ($30 part, $80 labor, $70 alignment) trip to the shop. One place wanted to try and charge $360 for labor and I was like HELL NO!!! The part itself is about $20 give or take on the internet and if you have the tools for it, by all means. I just didn't want to mess around with my ball joints.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
do you think that size tires would have fit w/o the leveling kit?

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
do you think that size tires would have fit w/o the leveling kit?
Yeah but barely. There might be a little rubbing.

By all means, get the leveling kit. I am so damn glad I did, it was worth every penny.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
crazy but i just found a 6 month old pro comp 5 in lift kit for $300 so if i get that i definatly wont have a problem running 31s :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals