• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Died on me

dmt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
I took the Ranger out today and she started no problem. Pulled in to where I was going shut off the truck. Came back 5 minutes later, nothing but "click". Had my buddy give me a jump, she started right up. Go to pull out and she died. Jumped again and same thing.

Went and bought a new battery and all was good the rest of the day. It was the original, almost 6 year old battery. Do you think there might be another problem besides the battery? Don't want to be out gettin stuck again.

Thanks for your time.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would check for loose connections and get the alternator tested, Because the alternator should be capabile of running the truck even without a battery.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats not 100% true. he has an 04, all of the sensors and crap need to run off the battery, notice how you cant push start newer cars when the battery is dead. they just may not be getting the voltage they need. disconnect the positive while the battery is running and see what it does, if it dies quickly then the alternator is shot. if not, then it prob, was just the battery.

Last edited:

dmt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. I tested the alternator and it was puching 14.04 volts. I then put a load (AC and Headlights) on it and dropped to 13.87 volts. I seeing that as a little lower than my other vehicles, but still within range.

Weird thing also, when I was jumping it I heard a clicking noise in the passenger kick panel fuse box. I heard the same noise when I tried to blow the horn when I first bought the truck a few weeks ago. Found that the horn was unplugged at the horn. Something did not seem right with that. That plug just does not fall off. You gotta wonder sometimes what the previous owners try to cover up.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats not 100% true. he has an 04, all of the sensors and crap need to run off the battery, notice how you cant push start newer cars when the battery is dead. they just may not be getting the voltage they need. disconnect the positive while the battery is running and see what it does, if it dies quickly then the alternator is shot. if not, then it prob, was just the battery.
Thats true at start up because the sensors need to be running when you start it up, so when push starting the sensors aren't on from lack of juice the push starting only turns the engine over not the sensors, but you can disconnect a battery while the new car is running because the alternator is rated high enough to keep the battery charged with every factory option is running (if it wasn't then the battery would discharge while driving which would be retarded.) So I would say if you disconnect the battery while it was running it should stay running if the alternator is working properly no matter what year car it is.

myold96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
it died on me

DO NOT CHECK IT BY DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY WHILE RUNNING YOU WILL EITHER FRY THE COMPUTER OR THE ALTERNATOR AND CAUSE A POWER SPICK TEST IT WHILE RUNNING BY PUTTING A VOLTAGE METER ACROSS THE BATTERY THEN PUT A LOAD ON IT AND TEST AGAIN THEN SHUT IT OFF AND TEST THE VOLTAGE IF THE BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED IT SHOULD READ WITHIN A VOLT OR TWO ALSO CHECK THE CABLES THEY LOOK GOOD ON THE OUTSIDE BUT CAN BE CORRODED ON THE INSIDE:icon_thumby:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
ALSO CHECK THE CABLES THEY LOOK GOOD ON THE OUTSIDE BUT CAN BE CORRODED ON THE INSIDE:icon_thumby:
This is the most likely culprit... check for a loose ground or corroded cable end somewhere...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals