• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dirty Engine Bay? Clean It Up With Orbit!

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
Not really, but this is a stupid simple way to clean it up. I pulled this off of
another forum, where the guy there said he got it off of another forum.

I have used this with great results. Erin May from Moddedmustangs wrote this how to. Everyone seems to swear by it so I thought I'd share.

Here's a quick way to take that daily driven engine bay to show room look with minimal effort:

Best way ever is the following, take it for what it's worth, it's tried and true..

Products needed: Simple Green, Turtle Wax F-21 tire dressing, several rags.

Here's a link to F21 so you know what it looks like:

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,3,5

Here's the simple green for those that have never used it:

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_all_purpose_cleaner.php

Start engine, get it warm, not hot, just nice and warm. As an example if the car was fully cooled, run it for 5-8 minutes. Turn off engine.

Cover the alternator and air filter on your intake, Aluminum foil works great since the motor is warm. Everything else can be subject to light rinsing type spray, including the covered fuse panel. All of these areas get hit by water when driven in the rain.

Lightly spray entire engine bay with water from hose, you will see some light steaming, this is good.

Spray the entire engine bay, including firewall, plastic parts, metal parts, loom, coils and hoses with Simple Green. Set the hood down, not fully closed, just to it's safety catch point, and go find something else to do for 15 to 20 minutes. Let the simple green do it's work. Closing the hood lets the simple green interact with the steam you created with the warm motor. This loosens the tough stuff up so you don't have to work so hard in those heavily soiled areas.

Open hood, look for heavily soiled areas, wipe them with a rag, use more simple green if necessary. Rinse lightly with hose.

Spray entire engine bay with F-21. It foams, coat everything just like the simple green coating you did.

Close hood again, walk away for 10-20 minutes or until nearly all the foam has dissipated.

Open hood, Wipe up any areas that water settled and such. Wipe up any areas that the F-21 didn't dissipate on it's own.

You will note that the F-21 restores the black plastic parts to the same oem flat black color they were when new. It leaves the paint shiney with no streaks on the fenders and fire wall. Best of all, it is not greasey to the touch.
Since it was a nice day today, and my truck's engine was FILTHY, I decided to give it a shot. I unfortunately did not take any before pics, but let me assure you, all of the black plastics were easily mistaken for brown. Look at the underside of my hood in these pics, it should give you a clue as to what I was working with.

Since my engine was so dirty, I did this twice. About 90% of the cleaning was done the first time. Since I had the time, I wanted to see what kind of results I could get. The second time, I used some brushes (new paint brush, tooth brush) and a rag to get into the small spaces and get the built up gunk off. While I was waiting the second time, I busted out the vacuum cleaner and did some much needed cleaning of my interior.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Engine brite works wonders as well.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Meh....I have given up hope on my engine ever looking clean.......I don't have any inner fenderwells

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
Engine brite works wonders as well.
that's cool, this isn't me saying how to use engine brite though. this was a way i found to use products most people have around their home/garage already (especially if they like to keep their ride looking nice). and the last time i used engine brite i got more done using dawn dish soap and a brush.

Meh....I have given up hope on my engine ever looking clean.......I don't have any inner fenderwells
yeah, i had given up hope on mine too. i hadn't done anything to it since i bought it back in 07. lots of mud, desert trips, and snow.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I use some cheap $1 multi purpose stuff from the dollar tree and I have to say it takes grease off ANYTHING. Comes in a clear bottle and is yellow in color. Has no chemicals such a bleach, ammonia, etc....

Heres a link to what Im talking about.....

http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-storage-hardware/all-purpose-cleaners/20-oz-Totally-Awesome-Cleaner/212c254c254p8056/index.pro

They also have refill bottles too.

http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-storage-hardware/all-purpose-cleaners/LA-s-Totally-Awesome-Cleaner-Refill/212c254c254p297717/index.pro

Says to delute but I didnt for engine grease but for like other stains, you may want to, depends on the situation.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Tried the Orbit. Got bubblegum flavored. Now there's gum residue everywhere!

Thanks man :annoyed:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Tried the Orbit. Got bubblegum flavored. Now there's gum residue everywhere!

Thanks man :annoyed:
:icon_rofl:

I find one of the best cleaners for engines and parts is oil...I usually just dab a rag in some new or recently ejected oil (from the engine, that is) and rub down everything...only problem with that is dirt sticks to it if you leave too much oil residue...

I also usually just go to the car wash and put the selector on Rinse...and blast away at the grim on the side of the engine or Tranny...just don't spray the wires too much...

Danielm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I use some cheap $1 multi purpose stuff from the dollar tree and I have to say it takes grease off ANYTHING. Comes in a clear bottle and is yellow in color. Has no chemicals such a bleach, ammonia, etc....

Heres a link to what Im talking about.....

http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-storage-hardware/all-purpose-cleaners/20-oz-Totally-Awesome-Cleaner/212c254c254p8056/index.pro

They also have refill bottles too.

http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-storage-hardware/all-purpose-cleaners/LA-s-Totally-Awesome-Cleaner-Refill/212c254c254p297717/index.pro

Says to delute but I didnt for engine grease but for like other stains, you may want to, depends on the situation.
Just got some today gonna clean my engine bay saturdat will try and post pics before and after.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Before:

After:

Simple Green and a pressure washer.

This was a free truck I picked up from a coworker.
Needed a ring gear and a fuel pump.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i used to use engine brite back in high school, i dont think i've cleaned the engine since.

it makes me nervous spraying water into my engine

Irokranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I used to clean my engine with a stove cleaner, IT OPERATES fine, but whenever I find easy cleaner, hot water, with pressure machine) it is clean

and warrant wash dirty on motor ..I always wash my engine with the engine running ,,,never had much of a problem like that

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals