• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Disengagement Problems

trailbikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I just finished up replacing the slave cylinder in my '94 2.3 2WD, because the truck would not disengage the clutch even with the pedal depressed. After it was installed, we could NOT get the system bled, no matter how hard we tried. So today I picked up a pre-bled Master Cylinder & Line combo at work and slapped that on. I have pedal and I'm about 99% sure the system is bled, as the slave is moving roughly 5/16". The truck STILL will not disengage the clutch, and I can't get it into any gear. What's the deal here? The only other thing I can think of would be the "fingers" on the pressure plate are misaligned, causing it to disengage crooked. Before I pull the transmission for the second time, I want to make sure everything has been looked at, bled, etc.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Are you sure you remembered to put the throwout bearing on the slave? Not all slaves come with them.

-PlumCrazy

trailbikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the one I got did have the T/O Bearing included.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I wish I had some input here. I have been battling the same issue for months and have gotten to the same point. You are actually ahead of me now. My parts just came today, won't get it back together until Saturday.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The hydro clutch on my Supercoupe would not travel through its full throw. I tried everything I could think of (so did all of the techs at the dealership I worked at.) Here's the way I got to finally move.

I removed the reservoir hose and installed a pressure brake bleeder. Tried bleeding. Still didnt help.

With the pressure bleeder still attached, pumping the pedal still didnt give me full throw.

Pressure bleeder still attached, someone pumping the pedal, long prybar through the inspection hole in the bellhousing prying on the throw-out bearing... That finally got it to work. Its been fine ever since.

mk42gunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings; but I bet you now have air in the slave cylinder, from trying to bleed it before.

I am looking at the same job in an F-150. The bleeder valve twisted off, and when I diconnected the hydraulic line, fluid just ran from the line. I really don't want to have to buy a new master cylinder for my daughter's truck, but I know if I don't we will never get the air out.

Robert

trailbikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have to believe the air is all out. We bled it for a good 45 minutes until we got a nice stream of fluid coming from the bleeder.

trailbikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if this is adding to, or causing the problem, but I did have a decent sized mouse nest inside the transmission (it sits all summer in a barn), and I'm wondering if the mouse piss caused the input shaft to rust a little, causing the clutch disc to hang up on disengagement?

Eaglefixer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I fought a clutch problem for several months. I've changed my Clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder and throw out bearing. I've also changed out my Clutch Master cylinder twice and have taken it out 5 times to bleed the system because its been so hard to change gears. Well i think i found my problem. \

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106793

Last edited:

trailbikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Reading over that, I'm not entirely sure that's my problem. The clutch pedals feels normal; plenty stiff and no slop. But it's definitely easier to check into that than it is to yank the trans, so I'll look into it. Thanks.

trailbikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Drove it a bit tonight, seems fine until you release the clutch and put it in gear again.

Another thing I noticed is that the input shaft on the trans makes a bit of noise when the clutch isn't depressed. Not sure if the bearing is bad and causing the input shaft to wobble around causing the clutch to disengage crooked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals