• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY Camper = Bent Rear Axles

Baseline

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wanted a truck camper for my 2wd 09 ranger.
Few campers are available for small trucks, and those that exist are extremely expensive.
I decided to create my own using full size truck caps.
The full budget of the project was $150.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 8.01.12 PM.png

I drew the design, photoshopped the design, then acquired the used caps.
I merged the two shells and built wooden frame along the base and around the rear opening.
I framed doors into the rear. I built a wooden support frame and put the unit on wheels.
The camper shell rolls around my yard on 8" pneumatic casters.
I can move it on and off my truck alone in 5 minutes.
The camper ties tightly to the bed hooks with turnbuckles.
The rear doors are now enclosed and painted white with a nice locking handle (not pictured)
It will be good to add a nosecone when time allows to improve the aerodynamics.

Truck Camper Process C.jpg

Initially I estimated it would weigh 400 lbs. I think it is around 500 lbs in reality.
The camper may weigh 500lbs, but it extends 2' out beyond the tailgate and is rear-heavy.
Therefore the leverage on the suspension could effectively be equivalent to an ~800 lb load.
The truck is rated to carry 1168 lbs.
I drove the camper around town for a month as I worked on it, and took one long road trip (7 hours round trip).
On the highway I drove slowly to keep the wind load reasonable.

Prior to this build, I replaced a driveshaft U-Joint last summer (6 months ago).
The second U-Joint blew out during the month I drove with the camper (1 month ago)
I drove slowly around town @30mph with a semi-squeaky joint for two weeks before a mechanic replaced the second U-Joint.
The mechanic also replaced front control arms.
Post-mechanic, I bought new tires, had an alignment, and balanced the tires.

The truck now vibrates at 40, 60, and 80mph.
At 85 mph the vibration is alarming.

The mechanic spent a full day with the truck on multiple test drives.
They concluded the vibrations are from bent rear axles.
Our roads are full of potholes. When the truck drives over a pothole, that momentary impulse magnifies the load greatly.
The rear suspension on the truck is 15 years old. It was degraded and cannot carry full load.

They recommend full rear axle/diff assembly + driveshaft replacement. Est = $2500
They recommend full rear suspension replacement. Est = $1500

Questions :
What suspension upgrade is required to carry this camper on this truck?
What drivetrain upgrade is required to carry this camper on this truck?
Should I throw this thing away and forget about it?

Thank you for reading
– Baseline

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Suspension upgrades required? If it's really 800 lbs, none. That is within the rated capacity of your truck. Depending on what leaf springs you have, there may be springs that will support the load better.

Drivetrain upgrades required? Again, none from the load you've added for the same reason. That said, what you built in it's current form acts as a massive air dam. It could benefit a lot from adding some aerodynamics to the front of the shell.

Should you throw it away? I never would have done it to begin with. Can't say that I care for it in its current state. It isn't mine though, If you like it keep building. I'll be interested to see the final product.

Unsolicited (sp?) advice:

I'm not going to say that your axle isn't bent, but I don't think that "camper" is what bent it. I would find a different mechanic. It sounds like they don;t know what the probvlem is and want to point the parts cannon at it at your expense. I definitely wouldn't let them fix it. If you can do what you did with the shells, you can fix everything that they mentioned yourself.

Full suspension replacement? Full suspension cosists of shocks and springs. Unless they are broken or flat under normal load, you probably don;t need to replace the leaf springs. Shocks is very possible considering the road conditions you describe.

Axle replacement? If it's bent, then yes, replacement required. You can find a repalcement in a salvage yard for a whole lot less and in good condition. You can install it yourself with an extra set of hands. If you are buying the axle grab the springs too. If yours are good you can potentially combine them for more load capacity, kind of like an add-a-leaf. Might consider an Explorer axle swap since it's larger and stronger, but that'll take a fair bit more work (including welding) to install.

I find it unlikely that you need a new driveshaft. Maybe the joints have gone bad again, maybe it needs to be rebalanced. Unlikely that it needs to be replaced unless it's got phusicelly obvious damage.

I think it is more likely that your "camper" is causing or exaggerating the cause of the vibration. I would remove the "camper" and see how that affects the problem.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Why do they want to replace the drive shaft if they have determined that the axles are bent?

I can understand wanting to replace the rear axle. Bearings can be damaged from the bent axle shafts.

Replacing the rear springs could be warranted if they are indeed flat or bending the wrong direction. For the loads you are quoting, the exiting load rating should be fine if you get new ones. But the weights you are quoting is just for the shell, not including any camping gear, food, and water. Stepping up to the next level of springs might be a good idea.

The prices the shop is quoting, is way out of line in my opinion for the replacing some springs, possibly spring hangers, and shackles, plus a complete axle assembly since a perfectly fine used rear axle shouldn't be that expensive. Maybe $800 in parts? Maybe a $100 more for hangers and shackles as a rough guess. I would be asking another shop or two to look at it and see what they say. $4,000 for what they are quoting is way too much.

As far as the camper shell project, it's a different approach. Not one that I would take but I'm not there and I don't know what kind of skill sets you bring to the table. Maybe you can make it work and work well. Like you said, truck bed campers are pretty darn expensive. You aren't the first one to show up here with projects out of what we would consider normal.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2009 Ranger will have a 8.8" rear axle, it is rated for 2,750lbs

Bed and frame might be, 1,300lbs, leaving 1,450lbs at the extreme
Suspension is only rated for 1,000lbs(1/2 ton)

There is another issue here, wheels or tires, or factory defective rear axle assembly

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It sounds like they screwed up replacing the u joint and are blaming the axle. Get a second opinion.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In pothole country it could be tires too.

The camper itself shouldn't have caused it, keep in mind bedding, gear, passengers etc count too.

My slide in camper weighs 800lb empty per the brochure (camper company weight ratings are usually optimistic) and while my truck has a 31 spline 8.8 out of an Explorer... the Rangers only had 7.5's for a great while after said camper was built (1984). In the brochure it is even shown in a first gen Ranger.

IMO Explorer springs, good shocks and good tires, I have load range C or 6ply on mine. It rides a little rough without the camper or my usual single fiberglass topper but loaded she runs like a dream.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My two cents?

Youre getting screwed.

You would break every spring on the thing before you bent the axle. Espicially only at 800lbs.

Id be looking at the u joint installation as well as driveshaft issues.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Camper had nothing to do with it. Get a second opinion... there are a lot of so called "mechanics" in the world today that have no real troubleshooting skills, they just throw parts at things.

I'm working on a truck now that one mechanic said "has a bad engine" and another guy said "has a hole in the piston" ... best I can tell it actually had a leaking injector and other shoddy work done to it recently. Those were two opinions from separate businesses... "professionals" that charged the previous owner for their BS.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
As someone who used a Ranger like an F-250 for many years, I have my doubts about bending the axle. Not entirely out of the realm of possibility, especially in pothole country, but not very likely.

Leaf springs are probably worn/cracked/broken. Get the 1,750 springs or a custom pack. I would consider “load helper” shocks (like cheap coil-overs) or something, you’re putting a bit of weight up high and far back so you need to tame movement. Rear sway bar and traction bars can help control the rear axle doing funky things. Also a lot of U-joints are cheap garbage anymore.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, front and rear swaybars and a huge gamechanger for stability with a camper.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
4.0, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, Ford 8.8 axle with some heavy duty springs should do fine.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
It should be fine as it is.. I drove through potholes the size of craters on the moon with 800lbs in the back of my 7.5 equipped 2010 and it didnt even blink an eye.

Find another shop, get a second opinion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals