• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does anyone know the skinny on smoging a 1995 ranger with a 302 swapped in(california

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
later down the road id rather spend 2,000$ on somthing worth while then rebuilding my shit ass 3.0.

i live in california tho!

ive heard many thing like if your truck is a say 1995 then the motor must be from a 1993-1997. or HAS to be the same year cause of smog reasons.

can anyone shine this light for me!?

KENWIL138

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The motor has to be from the same year or newer vehicle and you have to retain all the smog equipment from that vehicle. You can swap in any engine from any car or truck as long as you follow that. I plan on the 302 swap as well and when the smog ref told me that I have no worries now :icon_thumby:

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
WOOHOOO!!! awsome i cant wait to start lookin for a donor vehicle!!

themanrosen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
cali smog legal swap

The motor has to be from the same year or newer vehicle and you have to retain all the smog equipment from that vehicle. You can swap in any engine from any car or truck as long as you follow that. I plan on the 302 swap as well and when the smog ref told me that I have no worries now :icon_thumby:
correct, although california smog requirements also state that in order to pass the smog referee, the donor motor must be out of the same vehicle class as the vehicle you are transfering it into. EX: if you were to do a v8 swap from an explorer to a ranger, an explorer (light duty truck) and the ranger (light duty truck) that would be no problem. But if you were to use a F150 (heavy duty truck) or mustang (passenger car) you would be denied by the smog referee. so you need these 3 things:

1)vehicke class
2) same year or newer
3)all the smog components (cats, o2 sensors, evap etc..) off the donor vehicle

Thats it!

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
hmm that makes things a little more interesting

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals