• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

does not start

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have problem starting my truck, evry time i have to push that shit in order to start and run. Its not the battery, its reading 12.5 or so i got the starter like 1 or 1.5 years ago, but my friend says its the starter. Everything turns on, lights radio, windshield wipers etc.... the only thing i hear is that when i turn the key i can hear a big clunk sound and then nothin...before it did like a grinding noise but then it satarted but now nothing..ima poolman and i need this truck to be able to start at any time....any help would be greatly apreciated.

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds to me like you have it figured out. Even though the starter is only 1.5 years old doesn't mean that it didn't go out. Check all your connections to the starter and the engine block and go from there. It could be a bad starter.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't recall the configuration of a 1995 starter.

However, if it has two wires, one small and one large, then you probably need to replace the large cable.

The way it works:

Power from key goes to fender solenoid.

Power from battery goes to the starter through the large cable, and is present at all times.

Power from fender solenoid goes through a small wire to starter.
That power activates an electromagnet that tosses the starter's drive gear to mesh with the flywheel's teeth. That makes a big clunk.

At that time, the drive gear motion activates a large set of contacts inside the starter. That switch makes the electric motor of the starter motor SPIN while it is now engaged to the flywheel teeth.

If you get that satisfying clunk down there and it doesn't spin......
It can still be a bad starter, typically worn brushes cause that.

If the starter is relatively new, like yours, the brushes are probably just fine.

Typically, the large cable corrodes under the insulation where you can't see it. Wiggling that wire might make the starter work a few times.

You could simply test for power at the large cable connection on the starter. 12 volts should be present there at all times, regardless of key position. A $5 test light is very handy for that.

Auto Parts stores will test your starter for free, but you have to remove it.
If it tests good, buy a new power cable!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The thing is that the cables are the same age of the starter... i had them replaced when i bought the starter....maybe it is the starter...thanks:icon_thumby:

Braeden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
You might want to replace the solenoid. My Ex had a older F350 that made the same exact sounds and I put a new solenoid in and she started up everytime from then on. Until she blew the motor

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You can jump the solenoid...if that works, then it is probably the solenoid...otherwise, it could be the starter...

Be sure to double-check the wire connections as mentioned above...more often than not it is simply a loose connection...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals