• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dome light stuck on stupid

bodkin1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On my work truck, a 98 Ranger X cab with the 4 doors, this morning after a short drive, after I shut it off the interior light stayed on. Came back out 10 minutes later and the light was still on. Had to run an errand, and the light stayed on for about 30 seconds, and turned off. However the "Door Ajar" light in the dash kept illuminating, and stayed on. Any suggestions?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Door switch needs to be replaced. Some say you can spray it with WD-40 and it'll work, but I've never been that lucky. I've done both doors twice now!

Pull off your interior door panel and the sticky plastic sheet, follow the wiring to the door switch. You'll see 2 plugs, on my 97' the door light switch is the upper one. Unplug it and rotate it 90* to remove it from the door.

bodkin1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to tell my boss about that, I guess until then pull the fuse that goes to it, or simply leave the bulbs out (I pulled them out, the truck has no owners manual and I have no idea where the fuse is.).
Of course I will have no lights, and be in the dark, but it's better that than a dead battery.

Last edited:

bodkin1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't find the switch on the inside of the door at all, is the switch a sensor type deal? For some reason was expecting to find a door jamb switch type.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
its on the lever that disappears into the door frame(or jamb, can't remember right now). its inside somewhere

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's on the door latch on your truck. You have to access it from inside the door. Also, it has a battery saver relay that will turn the lights off after about 1/2 an hour if they stay on when you park it. They also turn off at a certain speed, 15mph if I remember correctly. Massive quantities of wd40 or some other penetrant sprayed don into the latch and closing the door a bunch of times usually fixes it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'65-'99
Make / Model
GM, Ford, Mazda
Engine Size
1.6-454.
Transmission
Manual
If I may ask, what is the other switch for?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals