• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dont underestimate the offroad park

CamoRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i went on my first adventure to rausch creek today with some buddies and within and hour and a half i was being pulled out with a blown clutch that i just put in now more than six months ago so yeah just a heads up make sure your gears are matched to your tire size and you have 4 low

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you where not geared for what tires you had why did you try to go over something if you had to use so much clutch. Drive smarter and know your limits or things like this will always happen.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you where not geared for what tires you had why did you try to go over something if you had to use so much clutch. Drive smarter and know your limits or things like this will always happen.
To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid. :icon_thumby:

No offense or anything intended, but IMO that saying applies to anybody as they learn how a great many things in life work.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
True. But being young doesn't imply you need to be stupid. I'm 19 and know when you stop riding the clutch when obviously you can smell it.

CamoRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha yeah i knew the clutch was burning, but yeah i kinda needed to get out i ended up being pulled out by a chevy k30 and a jeep so yeah kinda killed my ego for tha day which i was trying to avoid but i def learned my lesson. do you guys know where to get a set of gears for front and rear and how much of a pita they are??

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Do a search on that, plenty of threads on it ;) As for gearing there's plenty of online retailers as well as members on here that part out pretty often.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha yeah i knew the clutch was burning, but yeah i kinda needed to get out i ended up being pulled out by a chevy k30 and a jeep so yeah kinda killed my ego for tha day which i was trying to avoid but i def learned my lesson. do you guys know where to get a set of gears for front and rear and how much of a pita they are??
If you are looking for a non factory ratio and are asking that question, too much of PITA.

If you are looking for a ratio that was a factory option just swap out axle assemblies.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
yea 85 ranger is right for one it would be cheaper to go get a set of axles with 4;10s if thats what u want it will be alot cheaper. ur looking at around 500 per axle plus labor so u would be into it probably around 1200-1400 and if u were to get axles with the gears u want if it is a stock option u would be into it about 500 at most and it will probably be a bolt in swap correct me if im wrong guys

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
If you gotta pay to have gears installed... By the time it's said and done you'll be in each axle for $800 or more for gearing (parts and labor). Yeah that's like $1600 or so.

Unless you can find some shade tree mechanic, just remember if he screws up it's your ring and pinion and other parts that's gonna end up damaged.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
What size tires do you have? Motor?

CamoRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have 31s and the 2.9L but i only have 3.43 gears stock

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you implying you didn't have 4low? 31s and 3.43s shouldn't require that much clutch unless you were in 4high. Hell, I ran 35s and 3.73s for a while nd didn't burn up my clutch at all.

CamoRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes unfortunatley i could not get my 4low working i think it is the trasnfer box or whatebver behind my seat i wasnt sure how much of a difference that the 4low makes but apparently alot. i am new to offraoding except for around where i live. the trip definetly broke me in lol. so if i get my 4 low working i should be alright??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals