• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door Seals

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A couple years ago I put new door seals on my truck. Fairchild brand from Rockauto.

They went right on. The doors shut tight. Thinking they were new I gave them a bet to get worked in. Still super hard to open the door, adjusted it out to open halfway decent and at the back of the door there is a visible air gap.

So I have broken an interior door handle and door lever in the mean time and it is still anything but impressive. Don't really have to lock the doors because most people think it is locked when it isn't.

Today I decided to try to readjust the door. I pulled the door seal out and got the door to open/close dead nuts perfect. Bodylines match perfect and door is even with the front fender and the rest of the cab.

Put the door seal back in and I have to push the door in to get enough tension off the latch for the door latch to open.

So has anyone replaced door seals in a first gen recently? Anything out there fit good?

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have not, but when I get ready to do them on my F-100 I'm probably going to use Steel Rubber products. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

...or I'm going to pull a set of late (square body) F-150 seals at the junk yard to test fit, those are press on rather than glue on. I've actually got a set of Precision door seals for that truck, but haven;t attempted to install because they are glue on and got a bunch of body work to do which would require ripping them right back off.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
my 05 does the same thing on the passenger door. to get the body / door lines straight, you have ot push the door in when pulling the handle to open the door or it doesn't release

dchangstrom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I used Metro Molded on my Chevelle and I'm very happy with the fit and quality. On the doors. the seals initially were very tight and doors were hard to close, but leaving the doors closed for a couple months (over the winter) allowed them to form and now the doors close great

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals