• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveshaft Question

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I bought a drive shaft on ebay advertised as being from a 2000 Ranger, Ext Cab, 4x2, MT as I'm in the process of doing the one-piece conversion on my 1995 Subercab 4x2.

Well, it's the wrong shaft...the guy ID'd it incorrectly in the auction, so I'm trying to identify exactly what I have so I can re-sell it. It's 60.25" weld-to-weld, and has 24 spline slip yoke with a missing "phantom" spline in what would be the 25th spline location. I'm guessing this is the shaft from the automatic 4x2 ext cab, but I need someone to help confirm this.

I have a pic of the slip yoke, but not sure how to upload it.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nUhhe3RvrrvKrz6CsQNhjA?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xzsDMiV6yReX-nXSd-dW7Q?feat=directlink

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

Hopefully I've figured out how to link to my image host this time....sorry for the newbieness.....

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
With 2WD shafts, the spline is definitely different between auto and manual transmissions. I don't recall the spline counts, but if it's not fitting yours, I'd almost guarantee it's because it's from the wrong transmission. Also, the length is different too.

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. I think salvage yards get confused on Ranger shafts 'cause the 4x4 Ext Cabs take the same shaft regardless of transmission, whereas the 4x2 Ext Cabs have unique shafts for manual and auto trans.

The yoke on the original 2-piece driveshaft that fits my M5OD-R1 manual is a 28 spline. From what I gather from researching this, the 98+ aluminum shaft for my application has approx a 63.25" weld to weld length.

I guess I just need someone out there to confirm that shaft I bought is actually from a Ranger and not some other Ford product. Unfortunately the part number has faded beyond readability on the original label. Thanks for the help though.

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I figure I'd run this to ground. I called around and finally found a guy who went out and counted the splines on an auto shaft for me and it is indeed a 24 spline like in the pictures above. So at least I can now sell it with confidence....if anyone wants to do a driveshaft conversion or just needs a one piece shaft in excellent condition with good stock spicer u-joints let me know, we can work out a deal. euphoria22@gmail.com

Rear Drive Shaft
2000 Ranger
Extended Cab
4x2
Automatic (24 spline yoke)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals