• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveshaft/rear axle/rear suspension issues…

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I doubt you'd notice much difference in the shape. The difference in going to be in the clocking of the hexagonal hole, and may not be accurately depicted in images.
That’s about what I was afraid of and why I decided to start thinking the junkyard route

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Told ya.. shoulda just went 4 link.
You wanna come build it for me? I don’t have any money so you’re on your own with getting here and building it for me, but I’d sure appreciate it! ;missingteeth;

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@lil_Blue_Ford :

OK, has you have noticed when you go from spring over to spring under, you must account for the thickness of the spring pack (1-1/2 to 1-3/4" depending on which model/payload package you have).
The other one, which you noted at start, was Ranger axle isn't in the middle of the spring, but closer to front (~25" from front/~30" to rear). Part 2 is the axle is almost in the middle, so the "effect" of longer shackle is reduce. If it was exactly in the middle, if you made rear shackle 3" longer than stock it wound raise the truck 1-1/2", but due to the differences in fore/aft lengths, it only raised the truck 1-1/4"*. Which is why DJM lowering rear shackles are significantly longer than stock ones. And they're just trying to limit the amount of lowering, not put a 4x4 back to approximately stock height...

*My dimensions on spring length were off by a little so I didn't have to go into 1/128ths for amount raised. :cool:

Next problem:
We'll skip the theoretical and go directly to your issue.

You have built up a spring from a number of leaves others. So, the leaves weren't manufactured with mating curvatures. Also, as you have shortened leaves, they also don't thin at ends like leaves did from factory.

When you assemble the leaves, you are able to preload the leaves, so it looks correct. But as you can see when your load the springs the wrong curvature of the lower leaves isn't pushing continuously against the top leaf, but concentrating its force at end. Which is making the top leaf do funky things. That stress concentration is also bad for longevity of the leaf - it will fatigue and break there.

As it is behind axle, it will just let you down at some point (pun intended).

I'd like to see front as well. If main leaf breaks in front, it dangerous to rest of us on road with you.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Those main springs have been very overloaded for an extended period. They are not supposed to be shaped like that. It's no wonder that it is riding lower than it should. Get a different set of spring packs, or at least a good main spring, and it will probably fix your height issue.

Thinking about it, I doubt you could be sitting much higher than if you were on stock ranger springs. That main leaf is bent way out of shape. If that spring was much flatter I'd think the arch was inverted.
Those main springs looked perfectly fine until they went under the truck and got weight on them. I stood on them and all before they went in the truck. Now, the picture doesn’t quite show it well, but the leaf immediately under the main and the leaf on the bottom are from a heavier rated pack, they are thicker with less arch than the pack that the main and the second down leaf and I’m wondering if that’s what’s making the problem, the first leaf under the main and the rest of the pack doesn’t want to flex as easily as the main, so the main is flexing in ways it shouldn’t.

My stock Ranger springs were literally flat with my normal load, so really where it’s sitting on these springs with the extended shackles isn’t far off from before swapping all this for rear height, lol. These packs actually have more arch, that picture just doesn’t do it justice.

FD2F926E-BAFC-41C0-8DFA-CD7162DFDAFB.jpeg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
@lil_Blue_Ford :

OK, has you have noticed when you go from spring over to spring under, you must account for the thickness of the spring pack (1-1/2 to 1-3/4" depending on which model/payload package you have).
The other one, which you noted at start, was Ranger axle isn't in the middle of the spring, but closer to front (~25" from front/~30" to rear). Part 2 is the axle is almost in the middle, so the "effect" of longer shackle is reduce. If it was exactly in the middle, if you made rear shackle 3" longer than stock it wound raise the truck 1-1/2", but due to the differences in fore/aft lengths, it only raised the truck 1-1/4"*. Which is why DJM lowering rear shackles are significantly longer than stock ones. And they're just trying to limit the amount of lowering, not put a 4x4 back to approximately stock height...

*My dimensions on spring length were off by a little so I didn't have to go into 1/128ths for amount raised. :cool:

Next problem:
We'll skip the theoretical and go directly to your issue.

You have built up a spring from a number of leaves others. So, the leaves weren't manufactured with mating curvatures. Also, as you have shortened leaves, they also don't thin at ends like leaves did from factory.

When you assemble the leaves, you are able to preload the leaves, so it looks correct. But as you can see when your load the springs the wrong curvature of the lower leaves isn't pushing continuously against the top leaf, but concentrating its force at end. Which is making the top leaf do funky things. That stress concentration is also bad for longevity of the leaf - it will fatigue and break there.

As it is behind axle, it will just let you down at some point (pun intended).

I'd like to see front as well. If main leaf breaks in front, it dangerous to rest of us on road with you.
Front looks the same. First time I’ve built a pack that did this and I really didn’t like how it looked. Has never been a problem even when I’ve mixed slightly different arches, but I think I’ve always used a heavier main.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I ain't going to argue with you about it. I ain't there to see it for myself and I'm not expert on spring tech. I just know that ain't right and it ain't what I was imagining from previous posts where you said something along the lines that the main leaf was separated from the rest of the pack. To me that is a problem, and is likely one of your issues achieving the stance you seek in the rear. I would be looking for a different spring pack or reassembling a "stock" leaf pack if you had the parts. I still think that main spring is shot to be bending like that.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I ain't going to argue with you about it. I ain't there to see it for myself and I'm not expert on spring tech. I just know that ain't right and it ain't what I was imagining from previous posts where you said something along the lines that the main leaf was separated from the rest of the pack. To me that is a problem, and is likely one of your issues achieving the stance you seek in the rear. I would be looking for a different spring pack or reassembling a "stock" leaf pack if you had the parts. I still think that main spring is shot to be bending like that.
Not at all trying to argue, just trying to figure this out, I appreciate all the help and I know I’m not always best at explaining things. Should have put up a pic or two from the start.

I’m still not entirely sure the main is bad, but I agree that something is definitely wrong with these packs. I was thinking about this all last night and I’m gonna take a look through my parts piles and see if perhaps I have some other spring options.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
You wanna come build it for me? I don’t have any money so you’re on your own with getting here and building it for me, but I’d sure appreciate it! ;missingteeth;

Best I can do is build it for you in spirit unfortunately

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Best I can do is build it for you in spirit unfortunately
Bout what I figured, lol. So that’s why it didn’t go 4-link. Not saying it’s completely out of the realm of possibilities, but it’s pretty far down the list. Possibly beyond coil-overs for the front. So I’m on to plan….uhh… C or D or F or some dumb thing… sigh…

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
View attachment 90593

Not the best pic, but this is what I’m talking about when I say the main leaf is bowing away from the rest of the pack, it’s doing this on both sides of the centering pin and on both leaf packs. Never had this happen before and I’m not sure if a couple pack clamps would be an acceptable solution or if I need to do something different with the packs. The main leaf takes quite a wrong way bend. When I take the weight off the springs, it returns to a normal arch.
It looks to me like the lower leaves are concentrating too much pressure on the main leaf right where they all come to an end. You have to think of it sortof like a pyramid... the more evenly the leaf lengths are tapered, the less of a stress point you will have in any one area. If your 2nd leaf were longer, and the 4th leaf shorter, should spread the load out more, which should reduce (or eliminate) the bowing of the main leaf.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, I found an old Ranger pack, but I’m not really happy with how the leaves look for wear. Might have to break the packs apart and take a good look. I also have a really nice looking Ranger main with a broken eye, but the match to it is still on my red 92 Ranger. I have the main that’s supposed to go on the red Ranger too. Don’t really want to tear into that truck just to get the matching spring though, lol. Since Ranger packs would be most similar to the Explorer main I have in my packs I put together on the green Ranger, maybe using those leafs instead of the heavy Explorer pack leaves and see if that resolves my whacky main.

Another thought that has gone through my mind is that dad has a brand new set of heavy duty Ranger packs. They’re supposed to go in his 2000. I might be able to borrow one or both and see what that does for me. Then I can either buy my own or replace his if they work.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So, I found an old Ranger pack, but I’m not really happy with how the leaves look for wear. Might have to break the packs apart and take a good look. I also have a really nice looking Ranger main with a broken eye, but the match to it is still on my red 92 Ranger. I have the main that’s supposed to go on the red Ranger too. Don’t really want to tear into that truck just to get the matching spring though, lol. Since Ranger packs would be most similar to the Explorer main I have in my packs I put together on the green Ranger, maybe using those leafs instead of the heavy Explorer pack leaves and see if that resolves my whacky main.

Another thought that has gone through my mind is that dad has a brand new set of heavy duty Ranger packs. They’re supposed to go in his 2000. I might be able to borrow one or both and see what that does for me. Then I can either buy my own or replace his if they work.
How long have they been sitting around? He might not notice if the disappeared...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
How long have they been sitting around? He might not notice if the disappeared...
They’ve been sitting around a few years, but he would notice. They sit right behind his lawn tractor. He keeps close tabs on his parts. I’ve learned to ask before taking any even if I’m replacing it promptly.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What are those "packs" yall talk about?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals