• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

driveshaft swap problem

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok I have a 94 ext cab ranger 4x4 with 4.0, M5OD Trans with a electronic shift transfer case. I bought a 1 piece driveshaft for a 98 ranger ext cab. The rear flange for the axle bolts right on but the front where it bolts to the transfercase is a bigger bolt pattern then the transfercase flange. I was going to change the end on the driveshaft from the old to the new but the U-joints are different. the old driveshaft has a u-joint that is 3.25" approx from cap to cab on both axis's. without the caps it is approx 3". the new replacement driveshaft ujoint is 3 5/8 from cap to cap or approx 3 5/16 without the caps. the caps on both driveshafts are 1 1/16. SO I guess I need to get a u-joint that is the same on one axis as the old driveshaft and the other axis needs to be the same as the new one so I can put the old driveshaft flange on the new one. If anyone can give me a part number this would be great as none of the parts stores here are of no help at all even with measurements. Thanks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It also was brought up just as this article was being finished that later Supercab 4x4s fitted with aluminum shafts have a larger T-case flange (same as the larger rear flange with 3" bolt spacing). These will require either swapping the forward U-joint piece or swapping the t-case flange. --4x4junkie
Looks like there are some other things you will need to do as well, here is the article on how to do it:
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/June04/offroad.htm

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, does anyone know if the flange from the transfercase off of a 98 has the same size hole and same spline count as my output shaft on the transfer case of my 94? thanks

GOODOLEBOY84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Yes It Should Bolt Right On With No Problems

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
The transfer case flange bolt pattern on your '94 is 2.5" across from bolt to bolt. The 98-99 flange will be the same. If the 1-piece replacement is 3", it is not from a 98-99, but rather a 00+. In this case there are a few things you can do...you can change the transfer case output shaft flange and swap it out with the correct 3" part, or you will need to track down the correct u-joint stub flange on the driveshaft itself with a piece from a junkyard and use a conversion u-joint. I believe this would be a Spicer 1310-1330 conversion joint, part number Spicer 5-134X.

Last edited:

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have found a solution. It is the 1310 to 1330 ujoint. Thanks guys. I really do appreciate all of your help.. Good thing I cut the rivets and not the plate for the midship bearing since I had to reinstall the old driveshaft untill I figured out the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals