• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

drowning in water

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i bought a 92 ranger with a 2.3 2wd.. when i tried to start it it just cranks and wont start . it does have spark. if i spray some starter fluid it will run for a second or two
the gas tank is showing half full and the truck has sat for about 4 months
i can hear the fuel pump and when i pushed the schrader valve i had fuel pressure but what was coming out seemed like it was all water.

i am thinking that the tank has alot of water in it . what is the best way to drain the tank and get any water in there out of it??????
where is the fuel filter and if i take out the filter can i drain the tank there ??
is there a way to turn the pump on to drain the tank ???
any other ideas????

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Take fuel line off filter add some hose to it to get it out from under car and have buckets ready turn key on then when its down to close to empty turn off key and take take down and pull pump out of take get flash light and look into tank mine was full of water and rust

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You will also have to "jump" the fuel pump relay if you want to run the pump without the engine running. However, after sitting with water in the tank for an extended peroid of time, chances are the tank is rusted or at least needs to be removed and cleaned. If you try to push a bunch of rust and junk through the fuel pump its just going to clog and burn up. Hope this helps!

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Take fuel line off filter add some hose to it to get it out from under car and have buckets ready turn key on then when its down to close to empty turn off key and take take down and pull pump out of take get flash light and look into tank mine was full of water and rust
+1 what he said, if you can understand what he said :dunno:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another thing i've done instead of running the pump is put a rag in the filler hose and put compressed air in the tank around the rag.This sounds like you could burst the tank but you can't hold much air with the rag.The air pressure will push the gas out the bottom.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
just to nix the rust thing, a '92 will have a plastic gas tank...

gas engines don't run well on water... unless it's used to cool the charge, there has to be some gas in there :)

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats kinda what i was thinking but wasnt sure how well gravity would work as the pickup tube and pump is on the top of the tank isnt it?????

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You will also have to "jump" the fuel pump relay if you want to run the pump without the engine running. However, after sitting with water in the tank for an extended peroid of time, chances are the tank is rusted or at least needs to be removed and cleaned. If you try to push a bunch of rust and junk through the fuel pump its just going to clog and burn up. Hope this helps!

1989-97 Rangers have plastic fuel tanks so the tank rusting isn't an issue.

But the pump isn't having any good done to it from pumping water either.

Pump it all out

Frankly I'd pull the bed yank the tank unit from the tank and mop out the iside of the tank out with paper towels after pumping it "Dry" before adding several bottles of isopropyl alcohol based drygas and 5gallons of fresh gas.

AD

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
heck just try to pump it out threw the filler neck throw five gallons of gas in there rock the truck pump some of it out fill the tank and go from there may be a few more bucks but you wont have to drop the tank. throw some heat in there to might help

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ahhhh. Plastic tank you say? I was basing my recomendation on the older steel tanks. None the less pumping water through the pump can cause damage. Avoid if possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals