• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark distributor

Javy129064

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys! First post here been reading along in different things for awhile now. I have an 85 ranger with the 2.8 and saw on here how to make it better with the duraspark conversion. Well I have found everything I need except the distributor!!!! I was hoping someone could share some knowledge on what I can do?!! I’ve heard there’s a duraspark 2 conversion but haven’t found much on that. Can I change to a non feed back and still delete everything and run my factory distributor?

thanks for letting me rant hope someone can give me a hand!!!!

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Hey guys! First post here been reading along in different things for awhile now. I have an 85 ranger with the 2.8 and saw on here how to make it better with the duraspark conversion. Well I have found everything I need except the distributor!!!! I was hoping someone could share some knowledge on what I can do?!! I’ve heard there’s a duraspark 2 conversion but haven’t found much on that. Can I change to a non feed back and still delete everything and run my factory distributor?

Those distributors have become impossible to find. I believe it’s more of an issue of having cores to rebuild. As of late I’ve seen people going to the next past transition by going with a point type distributor. There has been a few threads on here discussing the work around.

Javy129064

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet could you point me in a direction of those threads and what to get? Getting like 10 MPG!

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Top of the page. Magnifying glass. Select it any search duraspark distributor. Thread entry’s will pop up. Most recent (us) will be first. Go thru them. You’ll find info and part numbers. Even phone numbers to cardone.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
A lot f the guys normally here are at a club event this weekend so they may be a little slow to respond. But there is a pleather of knowledgeably guys on here to help you figure out any stumbling blocks you run into.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Those distributors have become impossible to find. I believe it’s more of an issue of having cores to rebuild. As of late I’ve seen people going to the next past transition by going with a point type distributor. There has been a few threads on here discussing the work around.
Top of the page. Magnifying glass. Select it any search duraspark distributor. Thread entry’s will pop up. Most recent (us) will be first. Go thru them. You’ll find info and part numbers. Even phone numbers to cardone.
Well that sucks. I haven't looked at 2.8L stuff in a long time, but I have one I was hoping to eventually put back on the road in something. It's got a duraspark distributor already (sorry, not willing to give it up) that was working when wrecked, but don't know what it'll do when I try to use it again.

If the Duraspark distributors are no longer available, I'd probably consider using a points distributor with a PerTronix electronic ignition conversion kit. Don't know what all is involved in doing that though, never had a reason to look into it before now. I guess I still don't need to look into it until I'm actually ready to use the engine and need it.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Never say quit. There has been fellers here doing that very conversion. I think it’s awesome these guys find a way around their restrictions.

Javy129064

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Awsome guys thanks for the input!!! If any of you guys read this and have one that are willing to part with it that would be great! I’ll do the search from what I’ve read on here everyone has a very informative responses to questions. Thank y’all

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The Pertronix unit bolts in place of the points and a piece slides down over the cam, it's as easy as a points change. I don't remember ever seeing a 2.8 with points, though, and I was a mechanic when we were still selling them. Try searching Mustang II vendors for a distributor, I've done business with Gay Baum at Second Generation Mustang for years. Connecticutt Mustang used to have some stuff, too.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5

Just posted for sale. Duraspark distributors.

Javy129064

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man I shot him a message asking how I could go about getting one.

Javy129064

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just an update I got a distributor from the fella on the post above and it was an easy transaction thank y’all for the heads up on him selling!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals