• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dweano's V8 Project Attempt

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. I have been ignoring my Ranger for the past while (crap tranny's making me park it, swap another crap tranny in, park it). Anyways. Now I recently did something rash....I bought a 96 Explorer with a V8 and 166k KM's (100k miles) so now I am going to attempt to swap it into my truck and enjoy it with a real powertrain. I probably won't start the whole process for awhile, but I figure I will gather as much advice as I can first before I dive in (my $800 suggests that I have already dove in)

Since this is the under construction forum I might as well do some shameless showing off

When I got it:

skip ahead a bit

skip ahead more..what is this?!

So as a disclaimer, I am not completely mechanically inept. but I do feel like maybe I have gotten in over my head with this:

Whoop Whoop! It was in a front end crash so the Rad is gone, fan is bent. But other stuff looks to be in good shape. Tranny fluid is nice and not burnt and such so, we will see I guess

I blew a 4R55E and then swapped in a 5R55E (which the guy assured me was fine) but it has a weak sprag clutch so it takes 2-3 seconds to engage in gear, and also flares up between shifts. Lame. Also the 4.0L even with headers and a BBK throttle body seems sluggish. So I said enough is enough. I listed my truck for sale, but then a deal came up for a low km v8 explorer that has the same year as my truck, near unheard of in this small province. So I said what the heck, bought it, that brings us up to now. You now know the story of Dweano and his Ranger.

I will update this as I make progress but my newbness is showing and I have questions:

1: AWD is dumb, can I just unlock my (manual) hubs and it'll work in 2WD?

2. What will work for driveshafts? I have a one piece driveshaft in my truck already, I believe I read that I can swap a flange of something and it will work

3. The Explorer has AC and the Ranger does not. Which is easier, making Ranger AC or just deleting AC?

4. Motor mounts...I do not wanna spend more money, I can Frankenstein some between the Explorer and Ranger ones right?

I am still reading various resources and build threads so I am sure I will answer some of these questions myself

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
Hey bud good to see youre still alive. Take a look at my Rangebe V2.0 build, it will answer some of your questions.

Mudstomper99

Law Enforcement
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Man I really like that front end conversion! I think I want to gather parts for mine now!

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey bud good to see youre still alive. Take a look at my Rangebe V2.0 build, it will answer some of your questions.
Still alive! Haha. Just been ignoring trucks for awhile because of other pressing life concerns, but with a good ish deal on a complete parts vehicle, I said why not! I will check out your build and likely PM you in a month or two for help

Man I really like that front end conversion! I think I want to gather parts for mine now!
It looks real good! I got a 2001 Edge, swapped the front ends around, the sold the Edge and got enough money back to pay for the cost of painting and I think $150 extra. Whoop Whoop. Add some 2005+ (i think) flares and 2001 mirrors and it looks real sharp!

Also for the record I hope to do this in my bosses shop, but that won't be open until after harvest, so that is why I delay, I may rip the stuff outta the Explorer tho and see how that goes though

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take lots of reference pics before you start tearing apart.
Good luck,

Richard

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
More pics:

My beauty 31 Spline Explorer 8.8:

Awesome Explorer Seats and OHC!

Ok more seriously:

Fan is bent, may need to put in some E-fans, also the upper radiator hose hole (technical term) is wide open, got a bit of junk in there, will have to fix that

And what the crap is all this, I am already confused outta my mind

Oh ok...there is relays attached to this wiring mess, hmm...

Can maybe use these to replace the missing ones on my toolbox?

Weird curly dipstick says the engine still has oil!

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was confused and a lil overwhelmed when I did my 4.0 swap, but there is plenty of reference material on this type of swap. Its all good.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
After talking to some people and reading I finally figured out only the engine harness needs to be swapped over. And two other harness's. Not that whole mess of things! What a relief, this will be easier than I thought

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Got a bit of progress done. Drove the Ranger to my old bosses place and his nice shop. And just dropped alot of cash at summit for headers and what not. Now we will see how much it costs I get nailed for living in Canada

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
That upper rad hose attachment is actually your thermostat housing. No big deal if stuff is in it, didn't get in the motor. Go to your local auto parts store and get a 180* thermostat and swap it out, but after you get the motor in the truck...

SVT

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well home for thanksgiving and got alot of progress done: Here is my very helpful father with his very helpful tractor:

Starting to pull and manouver and see if anything is still attached:

SWEEEET VICTORY!!!

This is my first time removing an engine outta anything and by far the most ambition project I have taken on. Just getting to this stage feels good. Only bad thing is the tranny connector got a bit smushed but it should be ok

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You need to thread 92003 into the block first. Then screw 1413 onto the 92003. But yeah, they should thread easily...

SVT

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I just figured I would test screw them to make sure. And it is tight...unnaturally tight. I will reinvestigate

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
That explorer is pretty much stripped, wow... goodluck, I cant wait to see more

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals