• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found! Early-Design Front Sway Bar (1st Gen Ranger)

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm looking to buy an early-design front sway bar and all factory hardware for my 85 RWD Ranger. By "early design", I mean the type that mounts to the inboard sides of the radius arms, not the type which connects to the front of the axle beams.

I am located in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, with ability to cross the border to the Detroit area. I'd prefer to avoid shipping (as I'm sure you do too) and am willing to drive up to about a 2 hour radius from this area (but if you're 3 hours away and the price is low, I'll still go for it). Payment would accordingly be cash in-person (either US or Canadian). I have no idea what this item is worth on the used market between enthusiasts of these trucks, I just know what I can pay at my local junk yard...but they never get the early trucks.

If shipping from further away becomes the only option, I can receive mail at both Canadian and American addresses, so international mail paperwork is a non-issue on your end regardless of where you are. Payment can be by PayPal in that case.

Please get in touch if you've got something suitable kicking around. Thanks!

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I appreciate the link, but it looks like this may be the "later" design version of the part. It seems to connect with end links, which the bar I'm looking for does not. Other sources say that part number runs 85-92 which would be consistent with it being the wrong bar. I recognize that an E3 part number would start in 83, though...

That aside, that's also more than I'm hoping to pay. It's a $15 item at a few local yards, I will obviously consider paying more private sale, but I think there must be bars to be had for well under $175.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I'm also looking for one as well.was told there mostly in the 87-88 supercabs.hope that helps.i modified my front of axle bar hoping it would work.but it won't.now im on the hunt for the rear axle bar.good luck

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm also looking for one as well.was told there mostly in the 87-88 supercabs.hope that helps.i modified my front of axle bar hoping it would work.but it won't.now im on the hunt for the rear axle bar.good luck
I had studied how to possibly modify the beams to take the front-side bar. I think it must be possible, but it may be a lot of work.

Specifically, I think the metal dowels (used in factory alignment I think?) can be unscrewed out of threaded holes that would then enable the use of some of the hardware for the front bar, but I've never tried to take mine out. It's the type of project that I wouldn't mind doing, except separating the radius arm from the axle beam looks like a bit of a chore and I didn't want to go there. There might be a compromise method where that can be skipped though.

I apologize for what happens below:

yoink!
Thank you very much. Still more than I wanted to pay but at this point, balancing the added cost vs actually having the thing in my hands, I was happy at that number.

The hardware will be a bit of a challenge, if anyone happens to have part numbers for those or detailed photos I'd appreciate it.

There are 4 mount points:
-one on each radius arm, probably forming somewhat of a cage containing a large bushing, which the ends of the bar go into, and probably sharing some hardware with the shock mount
and
-two on the crossmember that the radius arms attach to, probably looking somewhat like wide U-bolt clamps.

A DIY solution to the crossmember mounts is probably pretty easy, but it's not clear to me that the same will be true for the radius arm ones.

On account of the hardware issue, I'm going to wait a bit before I mark this thread as 'found'.

Last edited:

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When tracking down these parts, I’d use rearcounter.com. You can search N802584 and see which obsolete dealers have them in stock (nuts and bolts are generally pretty reasonable, and worth getting over trying to piece together stuff from Home Depot). I’d call Green Sales Company for help tracking down the hardware you need. They have access to updated parts numbers, and if they don’t have it, they can check inventory of Ford dealers.

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When tracking down these parts, I’d use rearcounter.com. You can search N802584 and see which obsolete dealers have them in stock (nuts and bolts are generally pretty reasonable, and worth getting over trying to piece together stuff from Home Depot). I’d call Green Sales Company for help tracking down the hardware you need. They have access to updated parts numbers, and if they don’t have it, they can check inventory of Ford dealers.
I appreciate that; I had already called my dealer who confirmed the key items that I don't really want to use generic hardware for are not available in the dealer supply channel. Green Sales is on my radar as I have other 80s Fords as well.

In this case, N802211-S2 U-Bolt (x2) and E37A-5C498-AA Retainer (x2) are the parts I'd like to try to get, and then I'd feel comfortable just using normal grade 8 stuff off the shelf for the rest.

The bar is including the bushings at the crossmember, and it looks like the bushings at the radius arm are still commercially available (and if not, they are similar enough to many other sway bar bushings that I could make something work).

But the correct dimensions, shape, and hardness of U-bolt will be hard to know for sure, so that's where OE hardware is nice.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The E37E is a drawing number, the original service part number would have probably been E3TZ-5C498-?, but I can’t find it in my book. The part number had also likely been superseded over the years. You’d likely need a microfiche reader to find the correct part number.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Now why are you looking for this particular sway bar?u having clearance issues with the front of axle one?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Pictures have the base part numbers, you will have to play around to get the engineering codes and suffixes to line up.

My restored bushing ubolts and shock mounts. As you can see the factory ubolts are pretty unique.

Installed minus shocks:

I had studied how to possibly modify the beams to take the front-side bar. I think it must be possible, but it may be a lot of work.

Specifically, I think the metal dowels (used in factory alignment I think?) can be unscrewed out of threaded holes that would then enable the use of some of the hardware for the front bar, but I've never tried to take mine out. It's the type of project that I wouldn't mind doing, except separating the radius arm from the axle beam looks like a bit of a chore and I didn't want to go there. There might be a compromise method where that can be skipped though.

I apologize for what happens below:

yoink!
Thank you very much. Still more than I wanted to pay but at this point, balancing the added cost vs actually having the thing in my hands, I was happy at that number.

The hardware will be a bit of a challenge, if anyone happens to have part numbers for those or detailed photos I'd appreciate it.

There are 4 mount points:
-one on each radius arm, probably forming somewhat of a cage containing a large bushing, which the ends of the bar go into, and probably sharing some hardware with the shock mount
and
-two on the crossmember that the radius arms attach to, probably looking somewhat like wide U-bolt clamps.

A DIY solution to the crossmember mounts is probably pretty easy, but it's not clear to me that the same will be true for the radius arm ones.

On account of the hardware issue, I'm going to wait a bit before I mark this thread as 'found'.
It isn't bad on a 4wd, what I think you call a dowel is the stud that holds the spring in, brackets wrap around the beam and that is it. I swapped in a later axle that had all that there, snagged the frame brackets off a later scab and ditched the behind the axle setup so I can pull a link and disconnect the sway bar on the trail. I would think 2wd would be similar.

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Now why are you looking for this particular sway bar?u having clearance issues with the front of axle one?
I'm hung up on this specific bar because the early trucks do not have provisions to install the front-mounted bar. Not only is the bracket on the axle beam missing, but there's no way to mount it without alterations:

These peg/dowel things are in the way. I've tried to make them move, and they don't want to, so it's not clear to me that they're removable.

Obviously with a grinder, anything is removable, but I was looking for "easyish" here.

Pictures have the base part numbers, you will have to play around to get the engineering codes and suffixes to line up.

My restored bushing ubolts and shock mounts. As you can see the factory ubolts are pretty unique.

Installed minus shocks:

It isn't bad on a 4wd, what I think you call a dowel is the stud that holds the spring in, brackets wrap around the beam and that is it. I swapped in a later axle that had all that there, snagged the frame brackets off a later scab and ditched the behind the axle setup so I can pull a link and disconnect the sway bar on the trail. I would think 2wd would be similar.

See above for "dowel".

Thank you for the pics, much appreciated. That's what I expected the U-bolts to look like, kind of like some axle leaf spring U-bolts, but maybe even wider than those would be.

I've installed a replacement crossmember and it doesn't have the holes for the sway bar mounts, so that'll take some drilling, but that's minor in the big picture here.

Maybe I'll make a post when I install this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals