• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EB Dana 44 Questions

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Around here these axles are very rare, and one popped up on craigslist in my area. ( http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/3520317688.html ) I offered him 800$ and it comes with JD extended radius arms. If he sticks to his end of the deal I should be picking it up this Saturday. Its a 73 axle, but has disk brakes? Im not sure what brakes to buy, or anything like that. But if I do get the axle I want to rebuild everything except for the gears ( It has 4.11s ) I plan on Chromo shafts with the 760x ujoints, Warn Hubs, I do not want a locker yet. Ive never been into an axle, can someone explain reid racing knuckles? Also explain where to buy brakes for it since it has been converted to disk brakes? Im pretty confused on these things? :dunno:

Thanks Ryan

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks like it has the same disc swap I do, 78 Bronco.

Honestly, you aught to just put it under your truck as is, all I'd really do is get the other 3 chromoly shafts. There's nothing really to "rebuild". He said the balljoints were new. So all that's left is changing fluid, repacking wheelbearings, and checking the brakes.

Fyi, the track bar on it is a POS. Don't use it. It's the adjustable one from Tom's Bronco Parts, it doesn't take the slightest bit of abuse to bend it.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Yup those are 78/79 Ford150/Bronco everything from the balljoints out.

-PlumCrazy

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Personally, that's really not a bad price for that axle with all the goodies (minus lower gears/locker) I'd grab it up.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Personally, that's really not a bad price for that axle with all the goodies (minus lower gears/locker) I'd grab it up.
Id rock those gears. You can pickup a 4.10 rear dirt cheap. 800 isn't awesome price, but the disk swap is done and the rotors look almost new.

-PlumCrazy

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I paid $350 for mine, all I've used from what I bought was the housing and oem radius arms.

If you could get it for $800, you'd be stealing it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hopefully he has it by Saturday! I will take more pictures and post them up to figure out exactly what I have. Also I'm scoring a 9" out of a later 70s F250. If I get these axles this weekend I will he selling my ranger to purchase my neighbors 95 with the 3.0. I like 3rd gens more than second gens. This build is happening a lot quicker than I expected, I was going to get the ranger then look for axles but things change. Eventually I will swap out the 3.0 for a stroked 4.0, I like the 4.0 more than the 5.0 so yeah pry start a build thread in the next couple weeks.

henry66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So that is why he never responded to my offer for the JD radius arms. Congrats, hope you get it.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Probably didn't buy it...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
Those are 76-77 EB brakes. They are the same as full size brakes. But the steering knuckle is different. The knuckles curve in more by the TRE. The TRE that they use is smaller than a fullsize and different than a drum brake axle. The factory style tierods on it form a Y shape like factory ranger tierods do. The EB disc tierods are junk for a lifted truck or wheeling. You will probally want to swap to a pair of fullsize knuckles like everyone normally does.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals