• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EFI Harnesses

Essex85

Reaction score
Hey ya'll

I'm looking to swap out my 5.8 in my ranger for a 5.0. I can get my hands on a cheap 302, aod and computer harness out of a 91 or 92 Grand Marquis. Now my question is, I have an 87 ranger and if I'm not mistaken aren't the harnesses for 92's different (something about the MAF)? If so would I still be able to make that work? I notice that I don't have a 16 pin plug on the harness. Near the computer it's only got like a 6 pin! Just wondering if I should jump on this or just keep my carb -_- lol. Thanks for any help!

morse johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i would simply remove the computer and the computer wiring harness and go EFI that way you would have mass air and not a carb since your have a donor car why not use it all. You can actually find all your important wires like oil psi,water temp,run wire and crank start on the your truck and just label them. So when you remove the harness from the marquis you will be ready to splice everything together.Also make sure to label your fuel pump wire i think your fuel pump wire is probably orange being that it is and 87 that will connect i believe to the green and yellow on that 92 harness which goes to the fuel pump relay.Its easy man.

Last edited:

Essex85

Reaction score
Awesome I can handle easy :icon_thumby:!

I do got one real quick question. I pulled the EEC Harness from the Grand Marquis and also got the motor and trans out. I also finally got around to pulling all the old EEC harness from my 2.3 out of the engine bay and just looking at it, my 2.3 has a lot more plugs but fewer wires (35 or 38) and the marquis harness has like 48 wires or something along those lines and barely any plugs. I should be using the 5.0 harness and splicing in the plugs from the 2.3 when needed correct; or should I be using the 2.3 and running new pins and wires when needed? Thanks again!

morse johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
correct use the 5.0 harness and spliceyour wires into the 5.0 harness..remove your computer harness and put the 5.0 in place of it just leave your aternator wiring and accesory wiring in your truck

Last edited:

Essex85

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for the info and pdf! Appreciate it!

morse johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
not a problem i just hopes it helps you..if you ever get a chance put a picture of your ranger...:headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals