• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

efi to carb

desertredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 2000 ranger with a 2000 explorer 5.0 efi v8. before i get started iam going to say I DONT WANT EFI ANYMORE WAY TO MANY PROBLEMS. so with that said lol. i want to carb it and iam not sure what carb, manifold, distributor, and so on to use i found a manifold that will fit to the gt-40 heads but as for distributor iam stuck. is it posible to do it at all. iam about to just give up and sell it so i dont have to deal with it. so please help. if you have any answers for me i would really apreciate it.

jay

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i would use a performer rpm air gap (what i have), and a holley truck avenger (if you must have gasoline), i like the simplicity of my propane kit! you will need a distributor from a 1985 mustang GT 5.0 w/ 4bbl carb. it will be a duraspark dist. at this point you can either use a duraspark ign module or whatever aftermarket ignition you want.

desertredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so any distributor for a 85 5.0 will work ? what about the fuel pump

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sell it and buy a '97', you are really looking for a lot of wiring with what you want to do. That EFI swap has been done so many times now without any big problems.
Dave

Born24wheel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Having done this swap before, I went with an edelbrock performer intake, a 4bbl carb, and the most easiest way to gain spark is, hate to say it, but an HEI distributor for a 5.0, its a simple one wire hook up with no points or module to mess with. Hope this helps.

Edit: Btw, make sure to not use the efi high pressure fuel pump, try to find a low pressure pump that won't put out over 5psi.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Having done this swap before, I went with an edelbrock performer intake, a 4bbl carb, and the most easiest way to gain spark is, hate to say it, but an HEI distributor for a 5.0, its a simple one wire hook up with no points or module to mess with. Hope this helps.

Edit: Btw, make sure to not use the efi high pressure fuel pump, try to find a low pressure pump that won't put out over 5psi.
The part that you have to pay attention to is that it's 2000 Ranger with the 2000 Explorer computer. If you have done one of them, jump right in and help him. I've got both of them scanned in if you want to give it a shot.
Dave

desertredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the help. what about the tranny i would like to go back to a manual but iam not sure about the stick position in the cab. what one will fit in there and not hit.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The manual most used is the Mustang T-5. stick comes up 6-7" farther back from stock, can cause problems with a bench seat or console. I'm going with a Tremec with the mid-shift position that puts it back to almost stock location plus it is 15% stronger. Lot of questions and pictures here about that location, maybe a search of "shifter location" with pull some up. Same goes for the slave cylinder, many different set-ups for that. I take it you have the motor in already? What kind of problems you having to discurage you from the EFI? Was also going to mention that those heads should be the good GT-40P heads on a 2000 Explorer.
Dave

Last edited:

desertredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ya ther r the gt40p heads. i truck will idle like crap and then die. the idle jumps from like 1500 to 300 back and forth. and the tranny wont ingage the engine. i feels like the tcc soleinoid isent sending fuil to the convertor. it goes but very slow and no power. as for the cfm's on the carb what is a good amount that will work with the 5.0

jtsmustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
650 cfm or 600 cfm

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
600cfm is the usual one used, pick a brand. Heard good things about the Barry Grant Street Demons. Is that the Explorer type transmission, 4R70W? Ditch the Explorer computer and you know you lose your speedometer and several other functions.
Dave

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ya ther r the gt40p heads. i truck will idle like crap and then die. the idle jumps from like 1500 to 300 back and forth. and the tranny wont ingage the engine. i feels like the tcc soleinoid isent sending fuil to the convertor. it goes but very slow and no power. as for the cfm's on the carb what is a good amount that will work with the 5.0
that sounds like a TP sensor bad or out of range.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's going to be easier to fix the EFI in a 2000 Ranger than it'll be to convert it over to a carbed setup. Something about the OBDII (not 100% but just what I've gathered over the years) that presents the hurdle in the electronics to running a carb.

desertredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i already bought the stuff to carb it. besudes the tranny. once i put the carb on the ecu wont have anything to do with the engine so the obd2 wont matter.

desertredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
o by the way any one wanna buy the gt40 intake set up cus iam not ganna need it any more.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals